This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

This is one girl that knows how to bustle. Aside from managing an already not-so-typical Collegiette courseload, Kayla juggles a schedule that would make many people exhausted just looking at it. Pursuing a Bachelor’s in Environmental Design is no easy feat, three-hour-long studios and homework to match takes up a lot of time, not to mention that she is also obtaining a minor in business with an emphasis in entrepreneurship. The rest of her time is committed to being an active member and T-shirt Chair of the Pi Beta Phi sorority, volunteering at blood drives and participating in the environmental design club, waitressing at a local sports bar, volunteering at the Lawrence Humane Society here and there, and simply running her own small business. Okay maybe not simply. 

Kayla originally started her life as a Jayhawk in the Architecture Program but felt her creative style was being stifled by the high involvement of mathematics. This led her to the path of Environmental Design, which gives her more space for her creativity to flow and will help her achieve her career goals of starting a job doing home renovations.

“I want to do more than put pretty pillows on a couch, I want to tear apart an existing space and make it fresh and new from scratch.”

That feeling of inspiration and determination that surfaces when seeing something creative or crafty and thinking, ‘I can make that,’ is why Kayla started her own business. Her ‘something creative’ was embroidered monograms and personalization. Having done all the research into the craft, it was the summer of 2012 when she bought her first of 3 sewing/embroidery machines and not only 6 months later when she launched her website, Sew Sassy Designs. Kayla told me that her goal with Sew Sassy “was basically to be able to do the cute embroidery and monogramming that stores such as Pottery Barn or J-Crew do but make it more affordable.” As for now, she plans to keep doing what she is doing with her website and filling orders and maybe expand the business in the future. 

Running a business, regardless of the size of it, is not an simple task. Kayla has learned everything from managing orders to responding to e-mails and website updating to accounting. Her advice to those wanting to start their own business is that “it is a long process, there is always something new to learn and put into the process of establishing yourself/a business.” Starting with a basic website and working your way up is worth the change around because it is a change to look forward to, not to mention learning website management and how to run a small business at the same time is a lot to take on. Her website spawned from a blog lined to an e-mail before launching forward.

Besides the fact that Kayla’s schedule is bogged down with an already long list of things to do, she manages to make times for her hobbies and passions which include sewing “(of course),” being at her gym regularly, maintaining a healthy lifestyle “(except for the occasional chocolates and ice cream!),” staying up to date with fashion and trends, continuing to be close with her family “(I could never be where I am without them),” hanging out with her closest friends and always learning how to be more creative. What connects her career goals to her life goals is her desire to share her creative abilities with others, specifically those who don’t have that eye themselves. She aims to make a difference in people’s lives through design and bring brightness to other’s lives. I think she more than stands a fairly good chance. Good luck to you Kayla, you crafty thing you.

Visit sewsassydesigns.net to view more of Kayla’s work. 

Kansas raised (no not on a farm) but forever seeking the wanders of the world. She's one part human, one part hairspray, and one part sawdust. Her happiness is rooted in dabbling in various avenues of creative expression. Pursuing an BFA in Industrial Design and minors in Italian and Strategic Communication, she's a full time student and part time hair stylist. You can find her at the dog park, sharing an ice cream cone with her hound or at a coffee shop downtown.