K-State Blackface: KU Students Respond

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

*Trigger Warnings: Racism, Black Face*

Last week, a Kansas State student posted a photo wearing a dark mud mask with the caption ,“It feels good to finally be a n—-.”  A fellow student posted a screen shot of the photo, seen below, claiming her actions to be racist.

The student, Paige Shoemaker, has since released a public apology admitting to her wrong, but denying the use of blackface.  This incident triggered a nation wide response with various public figures taking the time to comment.  Many at the University of Kansas commented on the matter, including senior Evelyn Vila. 

“From what I understand this post was supposed to be a joke, but the post was still inappropriate and subconsciously racist.”

Although Shoemaker may not have intended her actions to be racist, this does not mean they weren’t.  This can be traced back to where blackface initially came from. 

Blackface originated in early 1800s minstrel shows as a way for white male actors to portray slaves.  Their faces would be painted black with their lips often remaining white in order to seem bigger.  Even the few black performers of the 19th century were forced to wear blackface by the company and audiences they performed for. 

These degrading imitations paved the way for many of the stereotypes still seen in the United States today. The use of blackface, no matter the implication, holds with it origins of hate and ridicule for the entire black community.  Jarred Morris, a senior at KU, thinks this makes Shoemaker’s actions not only wrong, but unacceptable.

“Racism is present everywhere, even at an establishment like K-State,” Morris said. He went on to assert Shoemakers actions stemmed from ignorance rather than ill intent, but this is no excuse.  “People need to be willing to have hard conversations and educate themselves because no one is going to do it for them.”

This individual was oblivious to her words and the weight her actions would carry, but has proven the point that racism happens everywhere.  Despite the best intentions, no one can deny the extreme damage a photo like this can do.  Jordan Mackey, a sophomore at KU, took personal offense to Shoemaker’s actions.

“Blackface is degrading to people of color, to myself.  [It’s] trying to make fun of me for something I have no control over: the color of my skin.”

Clearly, Shoemaker’s actions speak to the current climate of this nation.  Too many people aren’t having this conversation and it is those people who hold the privilege to make something happen.  It is important to be informed and to speak on these issues because they are not going away.  Morris knows this and has personally experienced it.  He wants more people to share in the dialogue.

“Be aware of other people’s experiences.  Just because you’re not being discriminated against, doesn’t mean its not happening to others.” 

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/58/Minstrel_PosterBilly…

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/09/16/22/38760E4E00000578-0-image-a-…