This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Jarred Morris is a current senior at KU, studying Strategic Communications with a minor in African American Studies.  He is part of a collective named Vivid Zebra, a musical group with a variety of members who bring their own individual sound.  Morris, who goes by Ricky Roosevelt, discussed with me his hopes for the future of the collevtice as well as himself as a solo artist.  Check him out on SoundCloud at soundcloud.com/rickroses and on their Facebook page by looking up “Vivid Zebra.”

How did you get into music?  Music is definitely something that has always been a part of my life. I have been listening to rap since I can remember, so it’s pretty engrained in me. I started freestyling and writing for fun in high school. When I got to college, it became my primary hobby and passion.

Who are your greatest influences?  Stan Lee, American cartoons. Curren$y, A Tribe Called Quest. Artistically, I have quite a bit of influences. I like many forms of art. The older I get, the more life influences me. It may sound cheesy, but real life situations are what I draw a lot of inspiration from. My music is a combination of fact and fiction.

What do you think of Lawrence’s local music scene?  I think it is cool as far as college towns go. There is some good talent. I think the direction needs to change from indie rock though, it’s a little played out in my opinion (no offense to anyone).

Who is Ricky Roosevelt?  A vigilante. A teacher. A student. A philosopher.  A wordsmith. My other half. My alter ego. I am a Gemini, and I truly believe RR has always been my other half. It wasn’t until I started rapping that the identity became solidified. It’s a Dr. Jekyll, Mr. Hyde dynamic.

How did Vivid Zebra come about?  It was formed in 2014. It originated from the first members living in Topeka, and making music for the fun of it. After I came along, the momentum was ramped up a bit. I joined in February of 2015.

How would you describe the sound of Vivid Zebra?  The best way I can answer that is organic. We’ve got producers, singers, rappers. We’re all very different as individuals, but our vibes are parallel. We’ve got a bit of everything, but all our components are what make Vivid Zebra what it is.

How do you balance your role as a member of Vivid Zebra as well as your role as a solo artist?  The beautiful thing about our crew is it is a collective, and not a band.  This simply means we are together under one name, but don’t all have to work exclusively as one. I have room to do whatever I want as an individual. We’re pretty tight nit, and support each other’s endeavors.

What are you trying to say with your music?  I started off freestyling/writing just for fun. Through my music, I express everything. I can vent about heartache. I talk about fantasies I have. I tell stories about outrageous things. The best thing about music is I can literally say anything, and a song is something that people can digest well. I just use it to express myself.

What are some of the best shows you’ve performed?  I appreciate each show I have had. It’s hard for me to say, because each one resonates for a different reason for me. I like playing in a variety of formats, like house shows, bar shows, block parties etc.

How do you think you have been able to maintain and gain more popularity over time?  Networking. It’s all about networking. Making decisive connections and adhering to them. I definitely seek out people with the same mindset as me.

How has music shaped your life/the direction you’re going in?  Music has shaped me because it has always been there for me. I feel like it has only increasingly become present in my life. I will graduate in December. I am still not exactly sure what I will do career wise, but it will definitely involve music.

Where do you see yourself in music 10 years from now?  Ideally, just making a living off of it. If not, I just want to keep building on my craft. Music is something where progression is very easy to follow.

Photo: Jarred Morris’s Facebook