It’s Time to Move on from the Pumpkin Spice Latte

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Before I get started, let me just say this: I LOVE the Pumpkin Spice Latte.  No, really, I love it.  Every time I go to Starbucks, if I don’t get a Pumpkin Spice Latte, then I get the Pumpkin Spice Frappuccino. I’ve gotten something that isn’t pumpkin spice-related maybe… once or twice these past two months?  Yes, I’ll admit that I am kind of obsessed, but I realize that it’s time to move on and here’s why you should too.

1. There are other drinks that deserve your love.  You’ve ordered the Pumpkin Spice Latte how many times now?  If you can’t remember the last time you ordered something from Starbucks that wasn’t the Pumpkin Spice Latte, chances are that it’s time to give another drink a try.  For example, the Salted Caramel Mocha, the other fall drink that most people forgot about because of the PSL craze.  Salted caramel is a nice mix of salty and sweet, but mixed with mocha?  DELICIOUS.  Or maybe try one of the regular menu items that you’ve never had before, such as the Cinnamon Dolce Latte.  You could even be THAT person at Starbucks that goes crazy with customizing drinks and ends up paying like $2-3 extra. Heck, start trying out everything on the secret menu.  The fact of the matter is that there is a plethora of drinks and ways to customize them, which brings me to my next point…

2. Variety is spice of life.  Pumpkin spice isn’t the only spice, so you should really explore the Starbucks menu and find what’s truly your favorite drink.  Also, ordering the same drink over and over again is going to ruin your love for it.  I mean, I love sushi, but I’m pretty sure that if I ate it every day, I would never want to see another piece of raw fish after a week.  The same applies to the Pumpkin Spice Latte: maybe it’ll still taste good after the first few times, but it’s lost some of its magical appeal.  Rather than being a drink to genuinely look forward to, it’s just another cup of coffee.  There is such a thing as having too much of a good thing and it certainly applies to the PSL.

3. It’s going to be gone soon.  It’s already November, which means that fall is coming to an end. The Pumpkin Spice Latte had a good run, but winter is coming and it’s time for the PSL (and the often-forgotten Salted Caramel Mocha) to make way for the Christmas drinks.  Long goodbyes are always messy, and if you’re overly attached to the PSL, then this transition to the holiday drinks is going to be that much harder. It’s better to just move on and wait eagerly for the next line of holiday drinks (personally, I need the Peppermint Mocha back in my life).  The Pumpkin Spice Latte will always have a special place in my heart, but all good things must come to an end.