I Binge-Watched All of “Vanderpump Rules” and You Should Too

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.
How the decade-old reality show provided me with a perfect escape this summer.

For as long as I can remember, my mom has been an avid viewer of Bravo reality shows. Every night as I would head to bed, she switched the channel to Bravo, and my TV screen filled with the faces of Lisa Vanderpump, Kyle Richards, and, of course, Andy Cohen. I often playfully teased her about her obsession with these shows. What could be so entertaining about watching rich women scream at each other over trivial matters and attend extravagant parties? I never understood the appeal of investing in these people’s lives, to me it seemed like a huge waste of time. That was until this past summer when boredom and free time led me to discover one of the greatest shows of all time— Vanderpump Rules.

Airing on Bravo since 2013, Vanderpump Rules follows the lives of the young employees of Sur, Lisa Vanderpump’s renowned restaurant in Los Angeles. Recently, the show gained significant attention due to the infamous “Scandavol”— an eight-month-long affair between two cast members, which became a focal point during the tenth season. I had heard my mom recount the details of the affair numerous times, and eventually, curiosity got the best of me, compelling me to witness it firsthand. Little did I know, I would be hooked from the very first episode. As soon as the first scene begins, you are immediately immersed in the chaotic lives of seven twenty-something-year-olds trying to make ends meet in LA. In the first few episodes, you learn that Jax, a wannabe male model who bartends at Sur, has cheated on Stassi, his girlfriend of over a year. The drama continued to build through each episode leaving me constantly eager to watch one more. I took over the living room, much to the dismay of the rest of my family, and found myself completing the first season in two days.

Not only is the show incredibly entertaining, but there is something extremely gratifying about watching these people repeatedly make awful decisions without ever seeming to learn from their mistakes. I quickly found out that the ideal way to end my day after a long shift at work was by indulging in an episode (or three) of Vanderpump Rules. After dealing with the realities of the world all day, watching Stassi slap Kristen in front of all their friends for sleeping with her boyfriend provides the perfect escape. It becomes impossible to worry about the upcoming semester when Jax and Tom Sandoval are engaged in a screaming match in the middle of Schena’s birthday party. It soon became part of my summer routine to watch the show alongside my mom, who loves the show so much she has seen it twice. Being able to completely let go of all outside stressors and become engulfed in the decade-old drama of this friend group was exactly what I needed this summer. Despite their outrageous behavior and questionable moral compasses, it’s impossible not to develop a soft spot for each character. 

I can finally say I understand the appeal of reality TV. It is like witnessing a massive, explosive car accident that you just can’t look away from. So, if you’re in search of the perfect stress reliever this semester, I highly recommend delving into the world of reality TV. It allows you to completely zone out the rest of the world and mindlessly focus on irrelevant drama and shenanigans. When I finally caught up to the tenth season of Vanderpump Rules and finished the show last month, I was left feeling empty. I had practically lived through ten years of the casts’ lives. Luckily, a new season will be out early next year, and I have plenty of other Bravo shows to indulge in for the time being. 

Audrey Flavin is a writer for the Her Campus chapter at The University of Kansas.