kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

How to (Sorta) Get Your Life Together

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

It’s that time of the school year where I feel like a HOT MESS. Assignments are piling up and my life feels like it’s in shambles. I feel like I don’t have the energy to make it to the end of the semester. This past week alone I was sick so I missed class, I hurt my ankle on a trampoline (I am 20 so this is extra embarrassing), I have completed all my assignments at the last minute and I haven’t done laundry in three weeks so I have to wear my pajamas to class. I am a hot mess and there is no denying it. So what does a girl do when her life feels like it’s falling apart? Well, I decided that enough is enough and it’s time to get it together. So here are my tips for (sorta) getting your life together. Disclaimer: there is no way I can get it together and be an actual adult, but these tips make you feel a little better.

Organize the Crap Out of Your Room

(Photo by chuttersnap on Unsplash

I have too much stuff, it’s a known fact. Go through all the clothes and random papers to figure out what you actually need. Do I need three different Hawaii shirts for a party I won’t go to, NO. Do I need my George Washington wig, NO (but I am totally keeping it because I spent $20 on it and I WILL find an occasion to wear it again). Get rid of the stuff you know you will never wear or use again. It is hard to get rid of stuff, especially clothes, but you can take those clothes to Goodwill or sell them to Plato’s Closet so someone else can enjoy them. To reward yourself go get a new sweater or sweatshirt because let’s face it, shopping for clothes you will probably only wear once is super fun. My roommate has a rule that for every clothing item she buys, she gets rid of one and she seems like she has her life together. 

Do Laundry 

(Photo by Dan Gold on Unsplash

This is an obvious one but it feels really good to have clean clothes, especially clean underwear. Designate a time each week to do your laundry and make it a habit. Don’t wait for your laundry to pile up because it will be overwhelming. Don’t be like me and wait three weeks to do laundry because it is really embarrassing having to wear pajamas to class.

Wash Your Sheets and Make Your Bed

(Photo by Yasmine Boheas on Unsplash

Making your bed is a pain, especially trying to put a fitted sheet on a bed. I used to never wash my sheets and it was nasty. This year I started washing my sheets every other week and honestly it makes me feel a lot better. I am a dedicated self-tanner and I constantly have the orange stains on my bed. Clean sheets are also better for your skin because dirty pillowcases are covered in bacteria. I wash my pillowcases every week and it has helped my seasonal allergies. Making your bed also makes your room look clean and put together. I don’t make my bed every morning, but when I do, it makes me feel like I have my crap together. 

Organize Your Computer

(Photo by Lauren Mancke on Unsplash

I use Google Drive for all my notes and it’s a mess. I have a million untiled documents and it is hard to find what I need. I decided to create folders on my drive for my junior year documents, last year’s notes, my personal documents and of course my HerCampus articles. Within my junior year folder, I created folders for each class so I can find what I am looking for. When I am feeling especially extra, I create folders within my class folders for notes and class projects. I also set up documents for future assignments. It was a tedious task, but it made me feel more organized. 

Fill Out Your Calendar or Planner

(Photo by STIL on Unsplash)

I almost missed a lot of assignments because I did not know what was due. I decided to add all my assignments to my Google calendar and I organized my assignments my color. Planners are also a great way to stay organized. I don’t have a planner because I know I will not consistently fill it out. If you do use a planner, try color-coding it and take your time filling it out so it does not look sloppy. 

Make Lists

(Photo by Cathryn Lavery on Unsplash

I love making lists because I can visualize what I have to do. I made a list of all the assignments I have for the rest of the year so I can see what work I have left to do. Check off the items you have finished because it will make you feel like you have accomplished something. I also make a list each week for basic tasks I want to accomplish like doing my laundry or showering (I know it’s embarrassing that I need to remind myself to shower, I’m a mess). Checking off basic tasks makes me feel like I am being productive. 

Make a Budget

(Photo by Sharon McCutcheon on Unsplash

I am terrible with my money so having a budget helps keep me stay on track. Google sheets can help you see what money you have to spend on expenses like rent. Set a budget for the money you will allow yourself to spend out or on coffee each week. I am still a financial mess, but having a budget allows me to feel a little better about my spending. 

Get Some Exercise

(Photo by Arek Adeoye on Unsplash)

I am not a fan of the gym because I think it is super boring. Find ways to exercise that are enjoyable so it is easier to stick with. Going for a walk with a friend is an easy way to exercise and catch up. I try to walk home from class at least three times a week. If I am ever stressed, I go for a run until I get tired and it makes running a lot more enjoyable. Joining intermural sports is also a fun way to get exercise and you can do it with your friends. There are also fun activities you can do with friends like going to an open gym at a gymnastics gym (really fun, but beware of the trampoline). Getting exercise will make you feel like you accomplished something but you don’t need to spend hours at the gym. 

Meal Prep

(Photo by Ella Olsson on Unsplash)

Sometimes it’s easier to eat chips for dinner because you don’t have the energy to make a real meal. My roommate and I do our grocery shopping together and it makes life so much easier when we meal prep at the beginning of the week. Before shopping, make a plan so you can use the same products for multiple meals. We like to get chicken and cook it at the beginning of the week. Throughout the week we use chicken for pasta and quesadillas. We also cut up vegetables and fruits so we can snack throughout the week. It is also important to get rid of old food you are not going to eat. Life is easier when you do not need to spend hours each night cooking and you can just enjoy your food. 

Some Much Needed Self-care

(Photo by Jared Rice on Unsplash)

When you feel like your life is a hot mess it is important to take care of yourself. College is stressful and it is important to take some time for yourself. My roommate and I have self-care Mondays to start the week. After a long day, we sit on the couch and chill out. Sometimes we do a facemask or watch a movie. Mental health is not something people like to talk about and it is something many college students struggle with. If you find yourself overwhelmed, you should talk to someone whether it is a professional or a friend. KU offers mental health services through Watkins called CAPS. It is okay to ask for help, we all struggle and you are not alone.

I hope these tips help you get your life together. Remember that it is college and no one actually has it all together. We are all struggling one way or another. Yes, we should all work hard in college, but also remember to have fun. You only have so much time here in college so relax and get everything you can out of KU!

I am a senior journalism student from Chicago! I love snacks and hate college squirrels!