Wellness > Health

How to Rise Out of Your Winter Workout Slump This Spring

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Many people embark on their fitness journey every January 1st. However, that never works for me. It’s miserably cold, it’s dark at 5 pm, I’ve just had way too many Christmas cookies to even think about a treadmill.  

Luckily spring, the season of rebirth, presents the perfect opportunity to kickstart a workout routine. Use the lovely warmer weather and longer days as motivation to get out there, be active, and enjoy the beautiful spring days. But just in case that is not inspiration enough, here are my 5 tips to overcoming a workout slump this spring:

tulips in bloom
Photo by Yoksel ? Zok from Unsplash

1. Remember that all progress is progress, no matter how big or small

Don’t think you have to drag yourself off the couch and go run a 5k for it to be a good, productive workout. Even a walk around the neighborhood or a quick bike ride is great! The important thing is to get moving whatever way possible and not to let fear of a long hard workout stop you from getting started.

2. Don’t do workouts that make you miserable

Of course, working out almost always involves some level of discomfort—huffing and puffing and sore muscles and maybe a stich in your side. However, it’s okay to veto a specific workout that you hate, even if your friends love it. For example, I pretty much despise running. But I do like swimming, cycling, skating, and Zumba, which are all excellent sources of cardio that I don’t absolutely dread doing. Maybe squats kill your knees, so do glute bridges and reverse lunges instead. There are so many different ways to be active, so don’t be afraid to ditch a specific workout to find something that works better for you and your body. Because if something makes us miserable, we’re not going to be motivated to stick with it.

3. Find strength in numbers

It’s so easy to talk yourself out of a workout. Once I start getting tired, I make bargains with myself to not finish my original goal. That’s where friends come in. Having a fitness buddy to hold you accountable and challenge you is a great motivator. This is also why group fitness classes such as cycling, yoga, and Zumba are an amazing resource. Not only do you not have to plan the workout (which I hate doing), but you also have a room full of people cheering you on and commiserating with one another about how awful those single-leg burpees just were. COVID, money, and a busy schedule can sometimes make these classes impractical. Luckily, there are so many great YouTube fitness channels to follow along with, such as this one, which posts new videos every single day.

women dancing in a mirror
Photo by Danielle Cerullo from Unsplash

4. Set goals and reward yourself when you meet them

I’m a firm believer in a Donna Meagle treat-yo’-self mindset. You deserve the self-care, and it can be a great motivator to push you through that final mile on the treadmill or the last 50 crunches. The reward can be large or small or somewhere inbetween—maybe you treat yourself to your favorite Starbucks drink post-workout, or maybe you splurge on a new pair of Lululemon leggings once you reach a bigger milestone. No matter what, it can definitely help to have that carrot on a stick enticing you forward.

Treat yo self gif
Giphy

5. Focus on inner strength and happiness

Finally, and most importantly, don’t obsess over a certain number on the scale or a specific body goal. Healthy, happy, and beautiful come in so many different shapes and sizes. And remember: the Kardashian butt is from the plastic surgeon, not the gym, so never stress about comparing yourself to your Instagram feed.

women with different body types
Photo by Anna Shvets from Pexels

Senior at the University of Kansas studying English and journalism & editor of Her Campus KU. You can find me hiding in the Watson Library study carrels or wandering around HomeGoods avoiding all responsibilities.