This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

There’s a new Halloween movie out this October, but is it even worth it? 

The second movie out of a programmed trilogy (with a third movie incoming), Halloween Kills starts off as a direct continuation of the 2018 movie Halloween. It contains some flashbacks to previous movies, as many of the characters shown are survivors from the previous original franchise and takes place during one Halloween night that started in the previous film. 

Is it scary? 

Let’s be honest, it’s a Halloween movie and Michael Myers does what’s he’s famous for: kill people. This particular film is much gorier than the first and it seemed to have a lot of senseless killing; there’s not much shock value to it as it’s a concept we’re familiar with from other slasher films of the past. 

An interesting twist 

This movie does put forth a lot of focus on the idea of the whole town rebelling against the evil Michael symbolizes. Tired of being terrorized, the people of Haddonfield form a large group and set out to hunt Michael down. Interestingly enough, the movie explores the concept of mob mentality and shows how one single monster managed to turn a whole town of people into monsters themselves. 

What’s the point? 

There’s no clear storyline as far as the eye can see with this sequel, unfortunately. It follows Michael as he travels back to his childhood home, but why is he going there? What’s the point? Why kill people senselessly when in the first movie there was a clear distinction between who he killed and when? All these questions can easily pop into your mind as you’re watching the film and in turn, reduce the scare factor by a landslide. 

Unfinished Product 

Of course, being the second movie of a trilogy means that the story is incomplete, but there’s really not much point in continuing it. Most of the characters they’ve brought back, the survivors, end up dead by the end of this film, leaving one wondering why they were even brought back in to start with; and even with a mob of people after him, Michael still lives. 

Is it worth it? 

If slasher films with a side of gore are your thing, then you’re in for a treat. If you’re looking for a theme and more plot development, try the first 2018 movie or even the original film—you’ll find they have more to offer in that department.

Hi, I'm Giuliana, a junior at KU. Double majoring in journalism and psychology. I'm excited to share my stories with you!