This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

When Cady from Mean Girls said “In the real world, Halloween is when kids dress up in costumes and beg for candy. In Girl World, Halloween is the one day a year when a girl can dress up like a total slut and no other girls can say anything else about it”, she was not kidding. Halloween is the perfect time to be anything you want to be without fear of judgement. However, this year is a little different. Being cooped up with a limited amount of friends and a limited amount of activities that are safe for us and everyone around us can turn us into little monsters ourselves. To avoid the dreadful quarantine Halloween blues, I have compiled a list of fun activities to do around Halloween this year. Not only will you have something to look forward to, but you will do it in the safest way possible!

• Halloween-Themed Night Picnic

There is nothing more covid-friendly and fun than a Halloween-themed picnic. Grab your friend group, a couple masks, some Halloween-themed snacks, a flashlight and head down to a park, lake, or forest bonfire to enjoy your spooky evening!

halloween cupcake boxes
Photo Courtesy of Baked By Melissa

• Horrifying Halloween Run and Walk Event 

Phi Delta Epsilon, the official pre-medical fraternity here at KU is hosting a virtual fundraising event for Children’s Miracle Network from October 25-31st! Price for early registration is $25 for adults and $15 for kids. Price for late registration is $35 for adults and $25 for kids. Prizes are included such as medals and certificates. Register at http://bit.ly/PhiDEHalloween

People Doing Marathon
Snapwire from Pexels

• Virtual Horror Movie night

Get your friends involved and host a scary movie marathon on Netflix Party or share your screen on a Zoom call! There is nothing better than a night filled with screams and going to bed terrified out of your mind.

Felicity Warner / HCM

• Baking Halloween Treats

Prepare some ingredients and make a great autumn or Halloween-themed three course meal with roommates and covid-free friends.

pumpkin pie on table, fall meal
Photo by Element5 Digital from Stocksnap

• Tarot Card Reading

Host a virtual Tarot Card Reading for anyone who is interested. I personally love tarot cards and it is a great way to have some fun and get a bit spooked at how accurate the cards are!

• Pumpkin Decorating Virtual Event

Buy a pumpkin, paints, and a snack and gather on Zoom to create some beautiful pumpkins with friends or a school club!

Stephan Müller / Pexels

• Pumpkin Patch visitation

Gather a small group of your close friends and go visit a pumpkin patch! I recommend the Louisburg Cider Mill. It has a cute little shop that sells all sorts of yummy fall foods, and the mill includes a corn maze and a gigantic pumpkin patch!

Photo by Marius Ciocirlan on Unsplash

• Secret Satan

Host a Secret-Satan with some close friends or a friend group. Every person draws someone else’s name and either makes a Halloween costume for them, or gives them a spooky gag gift when they meet! It is like Secret Santa, but make it evil!

two skeletons
Photo by NeONBRAND from Unsplash

Happy Halloween Everyone!

I am a college student interested in Human Biology and Creative Writing. In my free time, I love writing poetry and I cover topics such as mental health, racism, global, and social justice issues! Being a writer for her campus inspires me to keep writing!