Five Reasons You Should Support Local Music

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

As a participant for KJHK, the University of Kansas’ student-led radio station, I have discovered a love for local music. What started as an interesting past time eventually developed into a passion. Unfortunately, local artists are sometimes overlooked by the eyes of a young, party-loving college student. Although getting down to Avicii’s latest dance hit can be fun, introducing yourself to the intimate, artsy and stimulating side of local music will not only broaden your playlist, but also instigate a deeper connection to your community and school. Still not sold? Here are five reasons you should support local music.

No Cave

1. A Change of Scenery

Tired of the same old spot? The same old weekend plans? The same typical songs? And the same boring guys that buy you the same Screwdriver at the same club or bar? I sure am. Busting out of your usual scene can sometimes seem daunting, but surrounding yourself with new people not only exposes you to cultural and social diversity, but also allows you to share fun, new experiences with your peers. Change is good. Seeing a local band perform live at a different bar will not break you, and hey, if it doesn’t end up being your thing, the bar will always have orange juice.

CS Luxem

2. It’s Easy

Traffic jams, parking garages, crowded bathrooms. Pay the meter and pay the toll. No food, no alcohol, no bags, no cameras. You can avoid all of this by going the local route with music. There’s no heinous process that you have to follow, no worrying if you’ll be able to see well enough from your seats and no debate about purchasing an $8 bottle of water. Music should be fun, easy and fuss-free. A casual, relaxing atmosphere and some great music can hardly compare to a crowded arena.

Psychic Heat

3. Local Bands Love Your Support

Local bands love your support. Of course, they create and play music because they enjoy it, but also because they want others to enjoy their music with them. The artists onstage are likely to be your friends or peers as well. In this way, local music is more accessible. It’s cool because you can run into the guitarist on the street of your town. Band members don’t revert to their celebrity lifestyles once they leave stage because they are people just like you. The infatuation with local bands depends on the idea that anyone can create music, an idea that everyone should support.

Westerners

4. It Helps Out Your Wallet

In comparison to tour performances where you stand crammed into a suffocating arena with thousands of other screaming fans, a local dive seems like a breath of fresh air. It’s easy to get lost in the crowd, and you may feel like your $120 ticket for a blurry, big star performance was, well, just not worth it. You’re right. You can have just as much fun (if not more fun) at a local show than any big name concert, plus it’s usually only $5-$10 to get in the door. You and your bank account will be much happier if you switch to local music. 

CS Luxem

5. Local Music Fosters a Community

In my time spent enjoying local music, I have witnessed a strong sense of community among its adherents. In this community of local music lovers, you already possess something in common with others, the perfect intro to getting to know new people. Not into the small, “What year are you?” bar talk with awkward sexual undertones? Admiration for local music fosters a common ground between you and the person next to you and is a great way to connect to people within your community. Local music is the way to go!

Photo Cred: Sarah Kramer

Jounalism undergrad at the University of Kansas. I like Mexican food, chili, local music, and the occasional power ballard, so essentially food and music. You can follow me on Twitter @KelseyWill443 (kimchi flower).