Female Rappers Are The Best Rappers

In recent years, there has been a surge of female rappers. From bold lyricists like Cardi B to beloved TikTok sound-trackers like Doja Cat, the surge has been unavoidable for any music lover. It has even become Grammy award-winning, with Megan Thee Stallion taking home the coveted Best New Artist award in 2021. Not since the 90s with Aalyiah and Lauryn Hill have there been so many female rappers. R&B stars like Rihanna, sure, but legit rappers, not as much. By 2022, the female rapper renaissance is undeniable. However, is there something more to it than just great music? And if so, what?

All of these women have a few things in common. For the most part, all of them are not caucasian. They are either Black, of Asian descent, or another racial minority, on top of being women. They are also not supermodel skinny. These women have beautiful curves and completely own them. These women are very comfortable with their sexuality. Their music videos are filled with liberated dance moves, and skin-baring outfits and songs are full of explicit lyrics. 

This is quite revolutionary. While Cardi B is definitely not the first female rapper, she did spawn off the trend of “OMG” feminist lyrics. She and Megan Thee Stallion’s “WAP” made waves due to their in-your-face lyrics about female genitalia, female pleasure, female dominance and sex. But why is that such a big deal? Men have been doing it for decades. 50 Cent talked about his lollipop in “Candy Shop.” Why can’t Cardi talk about her wet ass pussy? If men have rapped about their dicks for decades, then it’s about time women rap about their vaginas.

When Doja Cat or Megan Thee Stallion release a new song, it instantly becomes a feminist anthem on TikTok. Flo Milli and Rico Nasty had some of the largest and most fun shows at Lollapalooza. Maliibu Miitch and Tommy Genesis have soundtracked the hit teen show Euphoria, and other more underrated female rappers like Princess Nokia, Saweetie, CupcakKe, City Girls and Junglepussy are getting their music used in other hit shows Insecure, Genera+ion, Dare Me, Inventing Anna and Shrill. Erica Banks and Slayyter can be seen on almost any female rap Spotify playlist.

Feminism and women feeling empowered have been a hot topic of conversation in recent years. From the #MeToo and Time’s Up movements to the Womens’ March, women speaking their minds is all the rage. With social media giving an even bigger platform for criticism, shaming and sexism, women have to stand together now more than ever, and these female rappers are providing the soundtrack.

This is no doubt due to the rise in unstigmatized female sexuality and pleasure. Music often reflects society. Its changes, desires and escapism. So, it makes sense that our music and musicians reflect this. Social media accounts like @weareungirls with thousands of followers have daily informational posts about sex and sexual health from the female perspective, touching on topics from masturbation to orgasm.

Female rappers promote same-sex positivity as @weareungirls and plenty of other social media accounts. It’s unapologetic, inclusive, liberating and free from judgment. It’s the “that girl” or “bad bitch” movement. That women do not give a crap what anyone thinks. Whether they have a lot of sex or none at all. Whether they masturbate every night or not. It’s all okay and healthy. And it’s great to see women in the media to admire that believe the same. 

Hello! My name is Sami Gotskind! I am a Theatre Performance major, Journalism minor from Chicago, and I am a writer for both Her Campus KU and Her Campus National! I love film, TV, fashion, pop culture, history, music, and feminism. You could describe me as an old soul, an avid Euphoria fan, a self-proclaimed fashionista, a Swiftie, an Audrey Hepburn-Blair Waldorf fanatic, a future New Yorker, and a Gossip Girl historian. Look out for me on your TV screens in the near future! Thank you for reading my articles!