jamie street KaAiThQZrGU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jamie street KaAiThQZrGU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Extra hour of sleep? I say yes to that!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

If you’ve been looking to get a little more sleep this fall, wait no more! As the days grow shorter and the nights grow longer, collegiettes everywhere are becoming more and more tired. Sunday, Nov. 3 you will be able to get that extra hour of sleep you have been dreaming of since the end of summer. The Daylight Saving Time we enjoyed all summer long is finally coming to an end and that means that we will be setting our clocks back an hour, yay! But before we go messing with ol’ Father Time, we should talk about what Daylight Saving Time is and why we use it. 

Daylight Saving Time, also known as DST, is used in the United States to allow for more sunlight from the second Sunday in March until the first Sunday in November. Not all states in the U.S. participate in DST. Arizona and Hawaii’s clocks will remain the same while we set ours back this November. All states are allowed to decide for themselves whether or not they want to use DST. During the summer months DST gives people the opportunity to spend more time out and about to complete chores and errands as well as extended time for general horse play. Now that DST is nearing an end, we will “fall back” an hour, and get an extra hour of sleep, which will still help us to have more daylight hours. In case you haven’t noticed, it has started getting dark around 5 p.m. And I don’t know about you, but an extra hour of sleep sounds like something I could never pass up! 

Don’t forget, set your alarms for 2 a.m. on Sunday, Nov. 3 so you can get that extra hour of sleep! 

I am a junior Film and Media Studies major at the University of Kansas. In my spare time I love writing screenplays, watching movies, and hanging out with my Husky, Keno.