This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Valentine’s Day is quickly approaching, and many of us (myself included) have not found the perfect gift for that special someone in our lives. Gift shopping, especially after the holiday season, can be difficult, but some of the best gifts come from the heart! I credit the highly adored, professionally crafted videos from YouTubers like Bethany Mota, My Life as Eva, Meg DeAngelis, and more to have sparked a generation of young DIY-ers in the early 2010s—a generation I’m proudly part of.

Here are my following 5 DIY Valentine’s Day Gift ideas for that special someone in your life—whether it is a significant other, a friend, or a family member, I’ve got you covered!

Show off your new hobby

The start of the New Year is often the time when people start new hobbies to embark on for the year, and what better way to show off your new craft or hobby than by giving it to the person you love? This year, I’ve picked knitting as my go-to hobby, and after a few (several) attempts I think I can make a knit beanie. If your hobby is not crafty or tangible (e.g., an activity or musical instrument), bring along and/or teach your loved one your hobby!

For the music / book lover: record a song or audiobook

Audio, such as music and audiobooks fills our day-to-day lives, so record a song or audiobook for someone you love! This does not need to be super technical at all, just access your Voice Memos (iPhone) or Voice Recorder App (Android) and start recording, then save your file onto your phone, and send it to your special someone.

Personalized puzzle

Puzzles are a great way to bond with a loved one, and decorate a table space in a unique way! Stores, such as Michaels, sell blank puzzles that you can personalize by painting them or carefully carving pieces of your favorite picture into each puzzle piece. In the Valentine’s Day spirit, Michaels sells wooden heart-shaped puzzles in both small and large sizes!

Book Bouquet

This gift is a bit on the pricey side, but if you’ve already purchased or planned on purchasing your loved one book(s) for this upcoming Valentine’s Day, stylize the packaging by inserting the book(s) behind a bouquet of flowers! This isn’t just exclusive to books either, you can give a bouquet of flowers to your loved one with gifts such as movies, comics, candy/chocolate, and even letters!

Pictures, pictures, and more pictures!

In the digital age, many of us don’t have physical copies of the pictures that we take with our loved ones, so gifting pictures is a great way to surprise your loved one this Valentine’s Day. There are so many ways to gift physical copies of pictures—you can go the traditional route and use a photo album/picture frames OR you can go total Mine by Taylor Swift music video and hang all your pictures on ribbon or string! For loved ones you haven’t taken a picture with in a while, you can even book a photo shoot with them (although, less of a DIY, it’s the thought that counts!)

hi, everyone! my name is archisa, i'm a second year undergrad majoring in speech-language and hearing! i'm so excited to be a part of the writing team!