This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

College is an experience. College is not all about one thing, ever. Grades and achieving success are major focal points for going to a university, but by no means is that the only function that an experience like this can offer. College is a time in life where we, as students who are not 100% about where our future lies, have the opportunity to get involved with several different things. 

The idea of playing sports on the college level is an intimidating thought, but believe it or not, it is very much achievable. If you were one of those kids in high school who loved being on a sports team, but due to competition or lack of skill, could not pursue a college sports career, we at HCKU have your solution. CLUB SPORTS. Being apart of a club team has all the benefits of which a team provides: support system, friendship, experiences, plus the advantage that all of your teammates are in college. These advantages include, but are not limited to: the knowledge that schedules are busy, the option of getting an after-practice/game drink, and the many opportunities to travel to other colleges. 

Through my years at KU this is one of my biggest regrets, along with never studying abroad…but that is neither here nor there. I played a mean game of basketball since I was a youngin’ and when I came to college I lost all my skills simply because I was not playing every day.  The depletion of my fade-away was sorely noticed during my first Christmas break circa 2009 when I shot up an air ball and fell on my butt instead of making a smooth transition backward.  Although I did get involved with intramurals, the only way that I could have salvaged my basketball gift (highly sarcastic) is if I threw myself into a club sport. The variety of club sports that KU offers is insane. The sports range from equestrian, to tae kwon doe, to waterskiing. 

I thought it would be highly useful if I asked a girl who was in fact apart of a club team and get her input about how being apart of a team at the University of Kansas has effected her college lifestyle. Laurie Schmidt, a three-year club soccer participant, raved about the relationships that she has formed with all of the girls on the team and how “they are all so great and when the team gets together, there is never a dull moment”. So not only do you have the chance to meet new people that share a common passion for a sport you love, but you get to partake in team outings. These team outings do not just have to be in Lawrence either.

Laurie went on to tell me about all of the opportunities that KU women’s club soccer team has gotten over the past years. “We get all of these opportunities to play other schools—we get to play schools in our district, and at Nationals we get to play schools from all over the country that we wouldn’t ever play, like UNC, Arizona, Colorado, and Michigan”.  Leading to another advantage that a club team can give you—travel. Getting the chance to visit the high school friend at the college you get to travel to is reason enough. Chances are parent’s will not fund a spontaneous trip to another college, but will be more than excited for their baby girl to play against another school’s club team.

The last crucial take away that Laurie expresses about being involved with a club sport is the club aspect in itself. She says that the club “is an awesome way to stay in shape and have fun doing what you love, but it’s not like a D1 sport where it takes up all your time”. Ultimately, you get to keep the high school body that every girl wants back, make new friends, travel to new universities, and you still have time to live a healthy college-styled life.

Thinking about wanting to get involved? It’s easy! Simply go to the club sports website and get in touch with one of the sports reps…here is the KU Recreation Services link: http://www.recreation.ku.edu/p…