Campus Cutie V-Day Edition: Martin & Awista

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Names: Awista Kamwand & Martin Craig

Year in School: Seniors

Majors

A: Communication Studies

M: Psychology

On-campus activities

A: Writer for Her Campus KU, Associate Director of KZOO

M: African Student Association, CRT Specialist at the KU Rec

Off-campus activities

A: I spend a lot of my time working at TITLE Boxing Club. If I’m not working or at school, I’m usually studying, going home to see family, or going out with friends. I keep super busy, but I love every second of it.

M: I love to play soccer and I enjoy pushing myself in the gym with resistance strength training and cardiovascular training. Chances are you’ll always find me with my headphones on or my speakers blaring a good, diverse array of music.

How long have you been together?

A: 15 months 

M: 15 months and two weeks

*Note: Martin claims that he had asked Awista to date him two weeks prior to when they actually began dating, Awista has no recollection of him ever asking her anything. A: He said something to me about how we’ve been dating for two weeks and I just blankly looked at him with a clear, WTF face. Needless to say, we started dating that day after much controversy on what the appropriate protocol for establishing a relationship was…*

Turn-ons

M: A strong-willed mindset driven by ambition. Someone who never gives up on what they love. Someone who proves the naysayers wrong just by being herself. Someone who is motivating, not only for themselves, but for others as well. Someone who’s willing to not only help someone through their struggles, but also help carry the burden of those struggles with them. So basically, an Alpha female is what turns me on. All of that coupled with pretty eyes and smile, a great physique (that booty; Booty is essential), and contagious laughter.

A: Someone who can make me laugh on my worst days, someone who is not only capable of, but willing to handle my dynamic personality (let’s just be real, I can be cray-cray sometimes). Someone who’s honest, and not only supports me in what I do, but pushes me to extend beyond my reach. Someone who can see the best of me on my ugliest days. Great smile, strong arms, and lips. OMG DEM LIPS.

Turn-offs

M: Bad breath, smelly armpits, a woman who says “like” after every word, arrogance, and girls who dumb themselves down for attention.

A: Arrogance, selfishness, a lack of ambition and motivation. 

Okay, give me the story, how’d you two meet?

A: We had mutual friends, but never crossed paths until Martin came over to my apartment. He was friends with my roommate. While we were casually conversating in the living room, we found that we had similar values and traits, but we maintained a healthy difference of opinion on certain things. We were able to talk with each other and not at each other, and we think that’s what kept the convo going so easily and smoothly. And then he devoured the Afghan food I had in my fridge, because, food.

What’s your favorite thing about the other person?

M: She’s animated in everything she does. I could dedicate a Facebook page filled with her outrageousness and intensity. It would be pure comedy.

A: I could be having the world’s crappiest day, and he will always find a way to make me laugh. Usually unwillingly, and sometimes it involves me throwing tantrums (because I am a 5 year old at heart). I always leave so much more level-headed and calm after I spend some time with him. And to be able to calm a firecracker like me down? That’s magic.

Favorite piece of clothing on the other?

M: She wore this red dress out one night. Enough said. Also, when she wears heels… Lawd have mercy.

A: Button down shirts with a bow tie, hands down.

Weirdest thing about the other person?

M: She has 30 different types of laughs, I never know which one I’m gonna get.

A: He sleep eats. One time, I walked into my bathroom, and I found an unwrapped, half-eaten pack of donuts. Like, what? AND THEN HE DOESN’T REMEMBER IT IN THE MORNING.

Pet peeves

M: She eats off my plate. Don’t ever get between me and my food. Also, when she does her make-up at my place, she’ll leave toilet paper/kleenexes on the toilet seat.

A: He NEVER puts the cap back on the toothpaste and I about lose my mind every morning.

Favorite restaurant: RA Sushi is life.

What’s your favorite thing to do together? We tease/insult/play fight with one another like it’s our job. And we enjoy it?

What’s a typical night look like for the both of you? On school nights, we’ll usually make dinner together and do homework, listen to music, watch TV or a movie. Keep it pretty low-key because we both have busy days. But on the weekends, you’ll rarely find us at home. We like to be out and about, whether that means going to KC for a day or enjoying the local scenery here in Lawrence.

Who made the first move? 

A: It was a lot of tug and pull between us. I would make a move and then shy away, and then he would pursue me, and I did this thing where I would just stare at him in confusion/partial awe of his beauty and wait for him to call me out on being shy. It was a very long, tedious process in getting the notion that we liked each other out in the open.

Favorite physical feature on the other person

M: Her eyes. She has this look of composure and poise when I look at her, and her eyes are what convey that (even though she’s a mess 99% of the time). 

A: DEM LIPS, his smile, and his eyes. 

If you could go on any vacation together, where would you go, what time of year, and why would you go there? Definitely jet set to somewhere warm during the wintertime here, because Martin doesn’t deal with the cold well, and by that we mean he generally will refuse to leave the house if it’s cold. Brazil is one destination that comes to mind; Awista really likes the idea of Greece, but Martin doesn’t like Greek food (I’m sorry, what?) so that’s a work in progress…

What was it about him/her that really hooked you?

A: Our conversations always have so much life to them. You see people carry on such empty conversations with one another on a daily basis like it’s normal, and I’ve never had that with him. Every time we talk, we connect. And when we don’t have anything to say? We can sit in comfortable silence with one another. No awkwardness, no tension, etc. It just works.

M: Her charisma. She’s someone who can light up a room by just being herself. She’s quirky and she’s really good at unintentionally cracking jokes.

First kiss

A: It may or may not have occurred at the main bar in The Cave. I may or may not have initiated the kiss while we bonded over a shot of Patron. 

M: She took advantage of my lips and went in for the kill.

Take me through your first date:

A: He told me he was going to take me out, and I was surprised by how direct he was. He was confident, but not cocky, which was a definite turn on. I figured he’d take me out in Lawrence somewhere, but to my surprise, he jumped onto K-10 and we ended up at Hereford House on Town Center Plaza. Needless to say, he did good. We spent the evening enjoying each other’s company, and I almost died of a food coma, but it’s fine.

M: I was, surprisingly, nervous about the date when I woke up that morning. It wasn’t until after talking to my roommate, who basically told me to not sweat it because if she was going to like me, the first impression didn’t matter. I just needed to have fun, and if she could have fun with me, that’s what mattered most.

Tell Me About One of Your Favorite Memories

A: This is so random, but one memory that sticks out to me is when he baked me a cake because I was having a HORRIBLE day. Mind you, I was also PMS-ing and that was also the first time he’s ever baked, ever. It seems so little and silly, but it was almost comical to see how happy it made me. The little things speak volumes. How much someone loves you rarely comes out in one big show; it’s in the details.

M: When I came home from class, hungover from Halloween festivities a couple years ago with Awista and friends the night prior, my entire room was unrecognizable because it was so clean. She cleaned my room spotless because she knew how stressed I was with schoolwork. It showed me that she was a person who was proactive and self-aware. She recognized howstressed and imbalanced I was at the time, and it really showed how much she cared about me and wanted the best for me.

Obviously, you two have been together for a while. What keeps you going?

M: The anticipation of her making me smile and laugh at any given moment brings me such joy, that no matter what is going on in my day, positivity will always be present in some shape or form because she is present. You don’t really find a lot of people who are honest and real these days. She’s real in how she feels, real with her mindset, and with her spirit. 

A: He’s my best friend. It isn’t about being boyfriend/girlfirend. Our relationship is built on an incredibly strong foundation of friendship. Best friends bring you up when you’re down and they’re there for you when you need it most, no matter what. I’m blessed enough to say that I have a few best friends, and one of them just so happens to be my boyfriend.

This is Valentine’s Day # what for you two? What have you done in the past? What do you have planned for this Valentine’s Day?

A: This will be V-day #2 for us! Last year, he took me out to dinner and a movie in Kansas City. It was my first “real” Valentine’s Day, so he definitely succeeded in giving me the romantic vision every girl wants at least once.  I spoiled him and his roommates with cupcakes, and I also got him a small present. I don’t actually know what we’re doing this Valentine’s Day, he’s got something planned. But I will let you know that it’s SO important to spoil your man on V-day. Don’t let it all be one-sided. He deserves just as much on that day as the girl does.

Advice for single men & women? 

M: Don’t try too hard. If you see a woman that you would like to talk to, do not be so direct in the sense that you find out their life story in one sitting. Ease your way into the situation. Be her friend before anything else. 

A: I don’t know much, but what I DO know is that you have to love yourself before you jump into anything with anyone. In order to give out love, you have to know how to receive love, and you have to know self-love. Without that, nothing will prosper. Also, make him work for it. The guys who are there for you will put in the effort. If not, don’t waste your time.

Any words of wisdom for couples just starting out?

Both: Be ready to compromise, not change. Learn to forgive quickly and to put your pride aside. Know that you will make mistakes, and you will make many of them, but as long as you know where the other’s heart is, and your trust has been bound with love, compassion, and experience, you will have a chance to succeed in your relationship. Not everything is certain, but if you’re willing to work at it, anything is possible. Have fun every day. It’s important.