Campus Cutie V-Day Edition: Lauren & Mason

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Names: Lauren Mitchell & Mason Kilpatrick

Year in School

L: Junior

M: Sophomore

Majors

L: Social Welfare with a minor in dance

M: Film and Media Studies with a minor in Communication Studies

On-campus activities

L: University Dance Company, Her Campus Events/PR

M: Jazz Director and DJ at KJHK, Content Curator at KU MediaMix

Off-campus activities

L: Volunteering at Boys and Girls Club, Working Mr. Goodcents

M: Working at Mr. Goodcents (Different location than Lauren…)

How Long Have You Been Dating? Two Years and 9 months

Turn-ons

L: Great sense of humor, good taste in music, adventurous

M: Good taste in films, humorous, clean rooms

Turn-offs

L: Arrogance, insensitivity

M: Unwillingness to please others

Okay, give me the story, how’d you two meet? We met through a mutual friend, Corson Androski, for a game of catchphrase. We didn’t actually get together until over a year later. We remained friends during the year, but sadly didn’t talk much! Eventually we realized the error of our ways and went out on our first date in April of 2011. We’ve been together ever since.

Favorite thing about the other person

M: She is the opposite of me. She is soft, quiet, and adventurous.

L: He challenges me to be a better person. And he is so different from me. He is loud, outgoing, and friends with everyone.

Favorite piece of clothing on the other

M: I love her Moonrise Kingdom shirt.

L: Skinny jeans and flannel.

Weirdest thing about the other person

M: [She] has an incredibly low tolerance for pain. It amazes me.

L:  He talks to himself a lot…

Pet Peeves

M: I hate it when people refuse to talk to new people.

L: I really don’t like it when people chew their food loudly.

Do you two have a song? Or something that’s solely yours?

M: The cover of ‘Never Gonna Give You Up’ by The Black Keys

Favorite restaurant?

M: Anything with chicken parmesan.

L: Anything with ice cream.

What’s your favorite thing to do together? Argue. Just kidding!  We like to go to the movies together.  We have similar taste in movies, music, and various other kinds of art forms, so we love to experience those things together.

What’s a typical night look like for the both of you? We get off of work, and go eat at a restaurant. We then see a movie (at a theater or at home) and go get ice cream. Sometimes we play a card game or invite friends over.

Who made the first move? Mason made the first move. Lauren was too shy.  We already kind of knew how we felt about each other before our first date, but Mason was the one to initiate things.

Favorite physical feature of the other person

L: His huge mouth.

M: Her beautiful eyes.

If you could go on any vacation together, where would you go, what time of year, and why would you go there? Paris in the spring.  We both like French culture and we both studied French for awhile. It’s one of the many cities we plan on seeing together.

What was it about him/her that really hooked you?

M: She is very thoughtful. And the fact that was she was the opposite of me. I need some variety in my life.

L: He is very lively and fun, but what really hooked me was how well he could understand and care for me.

First kiss

L: It was awkward. It happened late one night in my kitchen, I think he missed the first time.

Take me through your first date: We are from Hutchinson, Kansas, so there weren’t too many options. We went to Applebee’s for dinner and then to the movie theater to see “Scream 4.” We went for ice cream and then ran into some friends. Coincidentally, we ended up at the house where we first met a year earlier!

Take me through your favorite moment together

L:  Maybe not my absolute favorite, but one that stands out for me was before we were officially together. We were at Disneyland on a youth group spring break trip in 2011. Before that, I had always thought of him as a friend, but the night we were at Disneyland, I knew I was falling for him. We were watching an outdoor show and he lent me his jacket, I thought he was so sweet.

M:  The first summer we were together, we were taking a walk in the evening around town and it started to rain. We then began to rush back, splashing in puddles, getting our clothes completely soaked. It was so much fun.

Two and a half years, wow! What’s caused you to stay with one another? We complement each other really well. Our personalities are pretty different, but what really matters, we have in common. For instance, we have a lot of the same core values in common and that creates a nice balance. We both value the importance of families and friends, and also have similar life goals.  Also, we communicate pretty well.

This is Valentine’s Day # what for you two? What have you done in the past? What do you have planned for this Valentine’s Day? This will be number 3. We were long distance our first year, but last year we went out to a nice dinner and relaxed.  This year, we plan on going out to dinner and seeing the Princess Bride at Liberty Hall.

One piece of advice you have to couples who are just starting out, give us your wisdom! Communication! You have to learn how to talk about everything.  Also, don’t take your partner for granted! Appreciate everything they do for you.