Campus Cutie V-Day Edition: Heather & Jeff

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Names: Heather Schieber & Jeff Kudlacik

Year in School: Seniors

Majors

H: Business Marketing

J: Business Administration with a Pre-Med Concentration

How long have you been dating? A year and a half!

On-campus activities

H: School and studying keeps me pretty busy, but in my spare time on campus I’m involved in intramural volleyball and soccer at the rec.

J: Pre-Med Society, Intramural soccer, basketball, and softball at the rec.

Off-campus activities

H: I work at White House Black Market on Mass, and live the dream, obviously.

J: I shadow doctors when I can, Call of Duty happens when I’m not busy visiting my family on the weekends and keeping up with all the sports in season.

Turn-ons

H: Someone who can make me laugh and be silly with me, but can also be serious when necessary.

J: Someone who is athletic, funny, and has a great smile. *Look at Heather’s dazzling, pearly whites*

Turn-offs

H: Hypocritical, chain smoking, dishonesty

J: Bad laugh, bad teeth, someone who’s introverted. I like a girl who’s outgoing. *Again looks at Heather and her dazzling, pearly whites* (Note: He is doing it right. Take note, fellas!)

Okay, give me the story, how’d you two meet? We had accounting lab together and ended up in the same group. It’s history from there!

Favorite thing about the other person

H: I like that he’s able to be positive when I’m not. It’s a nice balance.

J: I like that she’s really family oriented; it showcases her character and values. I come from a strong family background so that was very appealing to me.

Favorite piece of clothing on the other

H: I like his sporty look, so anything with mid-calf Nikes/athletic apparel is my favorite.

J: When she wears the necklace and UGG boots I got her as a present. It’s not necessarily how they look (they look great, btw) but it’s the simple gesture of her wearing them. Makes me feel great, like she’s thinking of me.

Weirdest thing about the other person

H: His eating habits: what he eats and how he eats. Some days he’ll go all day without eating and at the end of night, he’ll be like, “Oh I’m really hungry…” Go figure! Also, he’s superstitious about stuff like locking his car door a certain way, etc.

J: I would probably say her nail polish collection. I’ve never seen someone with so…much…nail polish!

Pet peeves

H: Having conversations that are one-sided, i.e., when you’re talking to someone and all they do is talk about themselves. Also, when people continuously cancel plans.

J: When people sit/park right next to you when there are PLENTY of open tables, parking spots, etc. Also, indecisiveness.

Song: We currently jam out to Eric Church’s “Without You Here” in the car when we’re driving together.

Favorite restaurant: Chipotle! Because, duh.

What’s your favorite thing to do together? We like to go out to eat, attend sporting events like Royals games and Sporting KC games.

H: Jeff actually took me to my first Chief’s game this season, and it was actually the game where they broke the sound record, so that was pretty cool.

What’s a typical night look like for the both of you? When we’re looking to unwind later in the week, we’ll grab some food early evening and then hit the rec a couple hours afterwards. Then we’d probably catch up on shows or watch movies. We like to keep it lowkey and easy-going!

Who made the first move/who pursued who first?

H: Unanimously, Jeff. I don’t play hard to get, I am hard to get.

J: I got her number in class, texted her and told her that I was taking her out to dinner that night.

Favorite physical feature on the other person

H: His smile, lips, and that beard!

J: Those blue eyes, I’m a sucker for the blue eyes.

If you could go on any vacation together, where would you go, what time of year, and why would you go there? We would leave around spring or summertime and go to Europe with all of our family and friends for the experience!

What was it about him/her that really hooked you?

H: How persisent he was! I was fairly hesitant in the beginning, so his persistency really made me feel like he was there for me, nothing else.

J: While we were on our first date (Chipotle, because, again, duh.) I asked her why she didn’t have a dude and she replied with, “I’m weird.” I replied with, “I dig that, let’s go.” There was just something about her that was intriguing to me.

First kiss? 

H: After finals of sophomore year, we were watching a movie on the couch and he kept talking really close to my face, so I said to him, “You like to talk really close to my face,” and then it just happened. Romance?

Favorite moment together?

H: The getting-to-know one another phase was our favorite. We would leave class at the same time and would take the long way down to the rec together (even though I lived at the Towers) and he would drive me back to the towers, because he obviously couldn’t get enough of me.

Obviously you’re still together because you care about each other, duh! But what was caused you to keep moving forward with one another?

J: We’re pretty similar in that we’re laid back, and the connection we have allows us to really read one another. It helps us through the bad days. 

So this is your second V-day together! What did you do last year and what’s in the works for this year?

J: Well I kind of dropped the ball last year because I tried to make a dinner reservation where they don’t take reservations so the wait was really long…Long story short, we ended up at Applebee’s. She wasn’t very happy. 

H: I was just very hangry, but three days afterwards, I was able to look back on it and laugh. Apparently, this year’s is a surprise, so I don’t know what’s going to go down just yet!

One piece of advice you have to couples who are just starting out? Give us your wisdom!

H: Know when to wave the white flag. Let go of being too stubborn. A lot of people want to compare relationship to relationship and you just can’t do that. Every relationship is different and you have to do what’s best for yours. Also, to all the single women: when you look for a relationship, you will generally find the wrong one. Let it happen on its own.

J: Being friends first is so important. Additionally, don’t give up easily. There are going to be days when everything seems wrong. When that happens, keep on trucking and work it out because it’s worth it. 

Both: We’re on the same page.

H: Unless he screws it up, we’re good to go for the long haul.