This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Spring break is coming up, and for some, that means beach time and sun rays. For others, it means staycations and Netflix all day. For those like me that just couldn’t make it to the beach this spring break but still want that perfect tan, I got you! You can still look tan and glowy with these products, rivaling even the darkest tans of those who spent days in the sun (and you don’t even have to worry about sunburns, ha!). Keep reading for my self-tanning essentials! 

St. Tropez Self-Tanning Mousse

I have tried quite a few self-tanners and I’ve found that this one works the best for me! It doesn’t leave your skin looking orange and instead develops into a nice brown/olive tone. I go with the extra dark version, but for people with paler complexions, I recommend the classic shade! It also does not streak easily, so even if you don’t get the self-tanner on perfectly, you don’t have to worry. It is a little pricier than drugstore self-tanners, but it lasts a while and is worth the extra money if you want a deep dark color.

Tanning Mitt

A tanning applicator is a necessity for applying tanning mousse onto your skin. Do not use your hands; they will look scary! Many different brands sell this along with their tanning mousse. I use the St. Tropez tanning mitt since I use their self-tanner, but any brand works about the same! 

Aveeno Moisturizer (or your favorite body lotion/moisturizer!)

This is so important for preserving your self tan longer and preventing it from coming off in patches. Trust me, moisturize every day. I personally have been loving this Aveeno moisturizer, but use your favorite and lather it up!

Jergens Natural Glow Moisturizer

For all the ladies out there that just want a little bit of color, this is a great alternative to a dark self-tanner. This product adds a natural looking tint to your skin if you want to look less pasty without looking too dark from a tanning mousse. It also moisturizes which is an added bonus! 

Bali Body Shimmer Body Oil

After trying this out, this is my new holy grail. Though not necessarily a self-tanner, it is an oil you can rub onto your skin to give you a boost of color and best of all: SHIMMER!! Who doesn’t want to be glowy? I even like putting this over my self-tanner for that extra sparkle! 

Benefit Hoola Bronzer 

For anyone who does not want to test out or deal with self-tanning, a nice bronzer is still a great way to add some color to your skin. One of my personal favorites is the classic Benefit Hoola Bronzer, but any type of bronzer will do the job. I usually use a light tan colored bronzer for all over my face, then go in with a darker one to contour. Bronzer makes all the difference in my makeup routine!

Freshman at the University of Kansas