Best Podcasts to Listen to When You Are Lonely but Don’t Want to Be Around People

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Podcasts have always been my saving grace when I’m studying or doing homework and just need something to keep me entertained. Don’t worry, I will never recommend Joe Rogan … you can leave him to the frat boys. I have been listening to podcasts for years, and have found one for any mood I’m in. Whether I want to be entertained or uplifted, there is always someone somewhere talking into a microphone to fulfill my need. Here are some of my favorite podcasts and the best times (in my opinion) to listen to them.

1. And That’s Why We Drink

This is my favorite podcast I’ve ever listened to. I can honestly turn it on for any mood, but it is best during spooky season. Christine Schiefer and Em Schulz each tell a story over a 1-2 hour episode. One tells a ghost story, while the other tells a true crime. Adorably coined “And That’s Why We Drink,” the two hosts go into depth about their favorite spooky stories whilst drinking wine (usually boxed) and milkshakes. One of my favorite traditions is them telling exactly why they need a drink that week at the beginning of every episode. Whether they are drinking in celebration or desperation, you can always count on some comedy interlaced with an intriguing story. I highly recommend this podcast to anyone obsessed with true crime, and is tired of watching Dateline

1. Girls Gotta Eat

Forget Call Her Daddy, Girls Gotta Eat is the new and improved women empowerment podcast. I’ve gone through my fair share of podcasts, trying to find one that genuinely made me feel empowered and confident, while also correctly educating me on women’s issues. This one covers all the bases. Two best friends talk about everything from sex to relationships to the ins and outs of being a woman. Through their own stories, they relate to other women and help them through their life experiences. Not only does it educate me, but it also makes me die laughing. They tell ALL (and I mean all) about their sex and dating lives, and educate girls about the real world. One of my favorite additions is when they bring guest speakers on. Every couple of episodes they include a guest speaker who is usually an expert in a field and shares their knowledge with the hosts and their listeners. For example, they had a female doctor on the show to talk about narcissistic tendencies in relationships and how to spot them. I recommend for anyone, especially girls, who wants to be empowered while also learning more about sex, love and being a woman in general. 

1. Dark History 

If you know Bailey Sarian, you know (and love) her Murder Mystery Monday series. Recently, she has started a podcast titled Dark History, where she tells a unique story of a spooky and interesting historical event. You will hear stories about Thomas Edison one week and gay conversion therapy the next. She never disappoints, and I can never guess what will be next. I love her stories so much, because they are so different from any true crime or historical podcast I have listened to. She goes deep into historical events and pulls out the parts the history books missed. If you are a history buff and don’t want to keep hearing the same stories over and over again, look into her podcast. I can assure you will not be disappointed. 

1. My Dad Wrote A Porno

Yes, the title is correct. A man named Jamie Morton and his friends James Cooper and Alice Levine read his father’s erotic literature. When I say I have never laughed as hard as when I listen to this podcast, I am not lying. Not only did his dad write a pornographic novel, he wrote a BAD pornographic novel. They read a chapter an episode, and not to worry, Jamie’s father has written multiple erotic novels, so they never run out of content. If you really need a good laugh and some lighthearted humor, I highly recommend this podcast. It is always a go-to when I need some comedic therapy. 

1. Tiny Meat Gang

If you just need to turn something on in the background, I recommend Tiny Meat Gang. Friends Cody Ko and Noel Miller get together and talk about random stuff every week, and usually poke fun at a couple people. It is funny, entertaining, but also very lowkey. This is not a podcast I usually pay loads of attention to, but rather one I can tune out if I need to. For me, it is relaxing to have voices in the background but not feel like I’m missing something if I space out for a second. So, if you need some background noise, or if you want some humor added to your day, I highly recommend throwing this on on your way home from school/work.