This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

With the holidays fast approaching, decorations seem to be popping up everywhere you look. Not only are places on campus decorating for the holidays (shoutout to the Business School, she is real cute), but dorms, apartments, and even Greek life are joining in the fun too. Being a freshman living in dorms myself, my roommate and I wanted to get in the holiday spirit but were struggling to find ways to fit decorations into our space. Here are a few ideas for affordable and cute decorations that can actually fit in your dorm room.

Door Decorations

This is a picture of my roommate and I’s door. We actually saw the idea on a Tik Tok and went out and bought supplies the same day. All we did was buy one roll of wrapping paper, garland, and a bow. We tapped and cut the wrapping paper to fit our door, then added the bow and garland so it felt like a present. This idea is a super easy way to show your holiday spirit to anyone who walks past your room.

Mini Christmas Tree

Image Credit

A tree is another great way to make your room feel festive. You can put it on a desk, or even on your windowsill like mine. With the addition of string lights (preferably red and blue) you can add some light and charm to even the smallest of spaces. Target currently has 2ft trees for only $14.99!

Stockings

Image Credit

Stockings are another great traditional decoration that will not take up much space. If you have a free wall in your dorm, you can use command strips to hang them, or you could even hang them on your door. Another plus is that you could do some roomie bonding and decorate your stockings together!

Wall Tree With Lights

Image Credit

If you can’t find a space for an actual tree in your room, you can also use string lights to make a tree shape. All you have to do is find or purchase some string lights and use a blank wall in your room, then follow the pattern such as the one in this picture. You can even add some garland to the lights to make even more of a tree effect.

Pillows and Blankets

Image Credit

Probably the most simple item on this list, pillows and blankets can change the whole feel of your room. Most stores such as Target and even Amazon have pillows for as low as $2.99. A holiday blanket can also add to the cozy feel. Besides, this gives you another excuse to buy a fuzzy blanket!

Overall, the holidays are a great time to express yourself through your decorations. Don’t let dorm life stop you from decorating, just find ways to create a cheerful environment while saving enough space to still be livable. Happy Holidays!  

Image Credit

freshman strategic communications major at the University of Kansas