Back-to-School Survival: The Advice & Essentials

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Wonbin’s Advice: 

Going into my freshman year at the University of Kansas, I knew absolutely nothing. You may think I am joking, but I seriously went to the first day of my college without knowing where my classes were. I had my older sister walk me to my first class, and after she dropped me off I was on my own to figure out where I was supposed to be for the rest of the day. 

I had to ask people if I was at the correct building before walking in so I wouldn’t embarrass myself, and I would talk to other classmates in my classes. I am very thankful that I had my sister and class friends during my freshman year, but since I didn’t have the “normal” college experience, as I have always commuted from home, I learned more on how I wanted to improve my college experience. 

As a senior, I previously wrote about my experience with commuting in another article and have learned so much the past few years. I have some advice I would have given my freshman self and wish to share with other freshmen who are beginning their college experience.  

1. When you go to a lecture, go sit next to someone who you don’t know and befriend them. 

This is something I always do in every class. I love hanging and studying with my class friends, and I honestly couldn’t imagine not knowing at least one person in my classes. At first, I was hesitant to talk to other students in classes because I was really nervous, but as freshmen everyone is at the stage where they are meeting new people and making new friends, and it got easier as the semester went on. I met one of my best friends after sitting next to her in a journalism lecture and am so grateful I did! When I am in new classes, I always exchange my phone number or Snapchat with other people to keep in touch and ask questions when I need help. The best part of making class friends is that they are most likely majoring in the same thing as you so you will have future classes together and you will always see them in the following semester.

1. Talk to your professors! 

This may be the most useful thing for students when they are starting to apply for internships or jobs on campus. You may feel a little intimidated to contact your professor, but it honestly is the best thing you can do when you have questions or concerns. If you have repeating professors, definitely get in contact with them to show your interest in their classes so they know who you are. I have asked so many questions, stayed after classes, and emailed my professors multiple times throughout the semester and was comfortable with emailing some of them for recommendation letters for internships. If they know you put in effort and interest, they would be happy to write you a recommendation letter. Most internships and job applications ask for one to two recommendation letters from professors, leaders from organizations, or other employers, and just communicating with them is a way for you to possibly get a letter. I have asked professors I had multiple times for recommendation letters and since they knew my character and work ethic, they were happy to write one for me! I also stayed connected with some of professors on LinkedIn to stay in contact with them after I graduate this coming year. 

1. Join some organizations on campus 

I am a part of two organizations on campus right now and joining them has made my college experience ten times better! I am in Her Campus KU and Alpha Delta Pi on campus and through these organizations, I have met so many women and created a lot of friendships with people from different grades. I didn’t have much social interaction or involvement my freshman year and pushed myself to join organizations to stay active on campus my sophomore year. I am so happy I did because look at me now at Her Campus! I’m currently Vice President, I have befriended so many women, and have had a blast staying creative and building my portfolio! Also, I know joining sororities is not for everyone but I highly recommend going through recruitment if you want to be be more involved on campus, gain leadership opportunities, volunteer, and create new relationships with other women! 

1. Create study groups with classmates 

When I know I have an exam approaching, my favorite thing to do is to contact my class friends and see if they want to review together. Most of the time, the people I contact are also very stressed and want to meet to study too to go through the material. Creating GroupMe’s and group chats can be very helpful when you are in a large lecture class to ask questions and pair up with other students too. I have a groupchat for my language class and enjoy being able to communicate with my peers out of class when I have questions. 

1. Walk around campus to get familiar with the campus 

Although many students may have taken a campus tour when they went on orientation, I recommend gathering your roommates or friends to walk around campus to go to each building you know you have a class in. Knowing where you have to go on your first day can make you less stressed while you head for your first class. You can take your time and know how long it takes you to walk from your dorm or apartment. As someone who didn’t get the chance to do that before my first day, I think it would be very helpful! 

Deema’s Essentials:

Deema here—along with Wonbin’s incredible advice, I am here to provide you with the materialistic advice—aka our college essentials!! There are some items you can go without, but these are an absolute MUST.

1. Planner (Digital or Physical!)

I cannot stress this enough: my planner is my lifeline. The success of my day, week or month is directly correlated to whether or not I have written in and checked my planner! I have always preferred a physical planner because writing things out helps me remember what I have to do better, and I enjoy color coding my classes in different colored pens & highlighters to make glancing through which assignments are due easier! I typically use the reminders app on my phone for more time-sensitive tasks or reminders to submit assignments by a certain time at night, so I like a combination of physical & digital planning. In college, with each professor being on their own timeline—writing down all the syllabus dates, along with your meetings, and everything you have planned in between at the beginning of the semester—you will definitely be set up for success! There is so much going on in my head—I can’t afford to have those deadlines floating around aimlessly too.

1. COFFEE (OR MATCHA – GET UR CAFFEINE)

Get your caffeine!! Days on campus are LONG. You need something to get you through, and you deserve a little treat from Starbucks, McLain’s or wherever your go-to spot is. ;) 

frother\'s daughter coffee
Original photo by Natali Misiri

Not only does coffee, matcha or the day’s caffeinated beverage of choice keep me energized: it also makes me happy. Studying or reading for school can get boring, so I like to keep it fun by ~romanticizing~ it. Listening to my music while walking on campus, matcha in hand, makes it a fun activity rather than just a commute! Plus, going back home, making a cup of coffee, and lighting a candle to set the study vibe sounds pretty cozy to me.

1. Airpods/Headphones

As I just mentioned about walking on campus with a matcha in hand, I bought my AirPods freshman year and simply cannot imagine my college experience without them. Commuting on campus by taking the bus or walking from class to class is so much more enjoyable with my favorite music or podcast (my favorite is Emma Chamberlain’s) playing in my ears. It honestly makes me feel like the main character … and I love it. Any headphones are essential, though AirPods are my favorite because they are so handy to pop in and out of your ears when you get to class! Plus, with lecture videos to watch, headphones come in handy when I have time to kill in between classes at the library or am on a study date with friends. Plus, if you are looking for some playlists to get you started, our Spotify has some of my favorite playlists. 

1. Umbrella/Rain Jacket

I feel like all I need to say here is that the first day of my freshman year there was a flash flood warning. We still had to go to classes. Let’s just say: I invested in proper rain boots after that. Luckily, I did have my umbrella and rain jacket, which all together are the ultimate combo! The weather, especially on a beautiful Midwestern campus like KU’s, is extremely unpredictable—and that’s an understatement. Better safe than sorry! You don’t want to get drenched or have your expensive laptops and textbooks be sacrificed. So, check the weather and pack your umbrella. 

1. Water Bottle & Sunscreen

I am sure we all have our emotional support water bottles, and trust me, they are also worth the investment. With lots of walking, and just to keep yourself going in class, stay hydrated! A reusable water is so much better for the environment, plus you can fill it up anywhere on campus! Stay healthy out there, it’s no fun getting light headed—especially in the sun. Which is why I also included sunscreen in this essential duo! Never forget to wear your sunscreen on your face because the sun is harsh and that combination of water and sunscreen will keep your skin glowing way after college too. ;) Plus, it’s such a fun & easy act of self care that your skin will thank you for!

1. Good, Comfy Pair of Sneakers

Everyone’s got their favorite sneakers. Are they the Air Force 1s, Converse, Adidas? For me: my Reeboks. The white Club C Doubles or white Classic Women’s Leather Shoes are so soft, go with everything, and super comfortable for walking around all day! They are also super cute—which never hurts. Find whatever sneaker you’re comfortable with and invest in a pair for the year! The blisters and pain of a cheaper one you have to constantly replace throughout the year is not worth it. You and your feet deserve the best. <3

The list of essentials could go on & on—but those are some of my favorites! With Wonbin’s expert college-senior-level advice and my daily essentials, it’s safe to say this President and Vice President duo has prepared you for success. Have a great year!

Hi, I'm Deema! I'm a senior at the University of Kansas majoring in Marketing with a minor in Psychology! I enjoy all things fashion, makeup, mental health, and music related -especially my queen, @arianagrande.
Hi, I'm Wonbin Park. I'm currently a senior studying Journalism and Photography major at the University of Kansas. I have a passion for photography and writing and hope to become a photojournalist in the future! My hobbies include photography, drinking coffee, watching K-Dramas with my friends and family!