This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

It might surprise you to learn that there are pagans who celebrate the end of the harvest season. That celebration is called Mabon, or the Autumn Equinox. 

To understand a pagan holiday we have to first understand: 

What’s Wicca/Paganism? 

According to Britannica, Wicca, is a predominantly Western movement whose followers practice witchcraft and nature worship and who see it as a religion based on pre-Christian traditions of northern and western Europe.

A Wiccan then is someone who practices paganism, which is any nature-based religion/belief, as well as someone who incorporates “magic” into their craft. (No, Wiccans do not believe in the devil as that is more of a Judeo-Christian belief). Wiccans also tend to be polytheistic. 

Magic is essentially all about intent, it’s like a prayer: a thought being released unto the universe asking for something to forces and powers beyond the natural realm, and, like a prayer, there are many ways to go about practicing it.

What is Mabon? 

In the words of a practitioner of the Wiccan faith, popular YouTuber and author, Harmony Nice, “Mabon is a celebration of balance—the days and the nights are now in equilibrium once again. It’s time to give thanks (…).” 

It’s a time of the year to appreciate how much the earth has given us (the harvest season is coming to an end). It’s one of the eight Wiccan holidays, or Sabbaths celebrated throughout the year. These celebrations usually stick to harvest seasons/seasonal changes/natural phenomena. 

Think of this holiday as sort of a pagan Thanksgiving. It’s a time to be grateful to the universe for all we’ve achieved thus far, and celebrate new beginnings and chapters closed in life. 

When is Mabon celebrated? 

Wiccans can choose to either celebrate according to their hemispheres (since the Sabbats are tied to the seasonal changes occurring year-round) or to celebrate according to the Northern hemisphere. You can either celebrate Mabon from September 21st-24th, or from March 21st-24th. 

How do people celebrate Mabon? 

There are many ways you could celebrate Mabon. A very common form of celebration is with a big Thanksgiving-like feast with friends and family. Focusing on homegrown/local products and purchases (using what the Earth has given and celebrating that bounty symbolically). 

Other people choose to go on a walk through the woods nearby, taking time to breathe in the calm atmosphere and experience the changes Nature is going through as summer turns to fall. 

Others put out offerings and decorate their altars (worship area) with fall themes like pumpkins, fallen leaves, incense, crystals, etc. 

There are many ways to celebrate, and even if you’re not part of a Wiccan/Pagan belief system, you can still let yourself enjoy this wonderful time of change. 

Neo-Paganism is so modern in its interpretation, there’s really almost no boundaries as to how you can experience these holidays, it’s all up to you.

Hi, I'm Giuliana, a junior at KU. Double majoring in journalism and psychology. I'm excited to share my stories with you!