This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Dear Reader,  

Overthinking. We are all guilty of it. Coming to us in situations of grief, panic, worry, and so many others, sometimes we just cannot help it. The thoughts of every possible worst scenario racing through your mind can ruin the mood, and almost kill the joy you had left of the moment. There we lie senseless, trapped in our minds with the overbearing weight of never being able to escape. Guilty of this myself, I know what it is like to experience this, almost all too well.  

“Was it something I said, or something I did?”  

“Why are they acting like that?”  

“What if it doesn’t work out?”  

These are the three ever-so-lovely examples that I struggle with the most, and many others do. The pure exhaustion that comes with those thoughts is unbearable. Alas, although they provide a weight on us all, I want to remind you that they will not last forever, and it will be okay. It will never be enough to overshadow your life experience and journey, and it too shall pass.  

I first want to say that you are incredibly capable and strong. It is normal to have moments of self-doubt in scenarios you find yourself caught in, struggling to figure out what to do next. It is crucial to not let these moments define you. With experiences like this we can learn and grow, allowing us to move through these thoughts, ultimately becoming stronger afterward.  

Secondly, I want you to embrace this imperfection. Our minds can be chaotic, but at the same time, it is almost poetic in the way you and I care so greatly about the littlest things. Amid it all, we have deep, insightful reflections of everything going on around us. Moments of introspection and contemplation all come together to create a storm which you are capable of surviving.  

Although I do want you to acknowledge the overthinking tendencies, I also want you to recognize when they become too much, and to calm them down when needed. Sometimes, these whirlwind thoughts can almost morph into the biggest storm of them all, becoming destructive, and diminishing any calm left in your life at that very moment.  

I know it can be difficult to navigate, but you need to think:  

Will this serve me and my mental health in any positive way?  

Am I actively prioritizing my own peace?  

What is the true root of the problematic thought(s) I am having?  

So, next time you find yourself overthinking, I want you to stop and think about where you are at that moment. Take a second to look around, recognize what you can do, and have a few deep breaths. Let everything happen and fall into the place it was meant to be.

Everything will happen in its own time.  

So, to my fellow overthinkers, my final message to you is to know that everything will be okay, no matter the situation. Our minds are beautiful, be kind to them, and allow them to rest.

With love,

MK

Madison Knoll is a part of the Writing Team at the Her Campus at KU chapter. She primarily writes opinionated articles, all of which deal with life experiences, wellness, and culture. This will be her first semester on the writing team, and is ecstatic to share her pieces with the Her Campus community. Originally from Wichita, KS, Madison came to KU with other goals as well. Beyond Her Campus, Madison is a second-year undergraduate student majoring in Psychology, and minoring in Applied Behavioral Science. She adores the psychological sciences, and aspires to become a child therapist after undergrad. In her free time, Madison loves to go thrift, try out new recipes, go on day trips, and spend quality time with her friends.