This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.
legally blonde icky valentines day?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
MGM

If you’re anything like me, the month of February pretty much sucks. It seems like everywhere I turn, there are pink hearts on the walls, huge teddy bears in Walmart, and what seems like an abnormal amount of PDA. Valentine’s Day in college is definitely a couple-fest, so what does that mean for us singles? Realistically, you probably won’t be finding someone outside your door with flowers, so what do you do? Spend the night watching The Office and drowning your sorrows in Girl Scout Cookies? No way. 2023 is a new start, and this holiday gives you the chance to reinvent yourself and be confident and single. This year, I am going to tell you how to enjoy your partner-free Valentine’s Day, and maybe even take yourself on a date. 

First of all, we should acknowledge that yes, Valentine’s Day can be hard for many people, especially those who are recently single. It’s totally normal to reminisce about an old relationship, an ex-partner, or even friends or family during this holiday. Although it may be tempting to reach out to that one ex you can’t stop thinking about, it’s better to learn from past relationships and move on. Becoming confident in yourself and getting a badass glow-up is much better revenge. So, forget about your ex, and take Valentine’s Day into your own hands and make it the best day ever. 

Since Valentine’s Day is on a Tuesday this year, it can be a little difficult to have a full, self-care, independent, girlboss day. But that doesn’t mean you can’t completely romanticize everything you do. When you wake up on Tuesday, don’t snooze your alarm! Wake up, make/order yourself a coffee (bonus points if you have a pink cup), and play some empowering music; I would personally recommend Flowers by Miley Cyrus, if you haven’t heard it yet, this would be the most perfect time. Of course, you can always listen to our musical icons like Taylor Swift, Olivia Rodrigo, Clairo, SZA, or any artist of your choice! Once you’ve got your queue going, put on a cute outfit! With the dreariness of winter outside, this is your perfect excuse to wear a bright pink sweater, or paint your nails bright red, because, why not? Dressing in an outfit that will make you feel comfortable and confident is the best way to make sure you have a good day, whether that means a unique hairstyle or trying that makeup look you’ve saved on TikTok for months. You may not always be the smartest person in your Tuesday morning classes, but you can always be the best-dressed. 

When you finish your classes, or if you were lucky enough to not have any, maybe reach out to your friends! Your taken friends will probably be busy, but those of them who aren’t, plan a lunch date! In my college town, there are dozens of adorable, locally owned cafes and restaurants that would be the perfect location for a Galentine’s day, friend’s get-together, or even a photoshoot! If you’re ever looking for photoshoot inspiration, Pinterest and Google are always good sources for pose ideas! This would be a perfect way to make your taken friends WISH they were single and could date you instead. Just kidding…

After you enjoy your day with yourself or the people you care about, use Tuesday night to wind down and give yourself a much-deserved break. Use it as self-care, which could mean ordering in, taking a long shower, getting a late-night workout in, hanging out with friends, or even going to bed early. Remember not to put too much pressure on yourself, even to have the perfect day. Take it one step at a time! 

Valentine’s Day is meant to be a celebration of romance and love, which you should apply to yourself and others. Use it as an opportunity to text your parents, your siblings, or people you haven’t talked to in a while and wish them a Happy Valentine’s Day and let them know you are thinking of them! Making sure that the people in your life know that they are appreciated is so important, so when is a better time than the day when we celebrate love to show it? Take the day as a positive appreciation of the important people in our life, and enjoy your single Valentine’s Day!

Ella Jiron is a sophomore studying political science, journalism, and women, gender, and sexuality studies at the University of Kansas! She is a weekly writer for the KU chapter of HerCampus, and focuses in lifestyle, health & wellness, and sex & relationships genres. She likes to write articles about current events, especially those retaining to college students and generation Z. Outside of writing for Her Campus, Ella works as a barista and a receptionist, and has worked several jobs prior! She has interned under a current representing senator of Colorado on her campaign team, as well as been an apprentice to a local photographer! She has done diversity, equity, and inclusion work for a Colorado-based non-profit childcare organization and has completed various social media internships and experiences. She plans to study abroad, working with a program that researches and analyzes gender equity and quality of life in different countries. Outside of writing for Her Campus KU, Ella is very into fitness; she practices spirituality and yoga regularly! She loves the outdoors, music, and spending time with her friends. She is a Survivor superfan, as well as being a general reality tv fanatic. Her favorite podcasts are Anything Goes with Emma Chamberlain and Science VS by Wendy Zukerman. Ella loves reading mysteries, as well as psychological thrillers!