Style > Fashion

8 Last-Minute Halloween Costumes You Can Build From Your Closet

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Halloweekend is nearly upon us, and if you’re anything like me, you’ve been looking forward to this for weeks, if not months. For some of us, costume planning starts in June, but for others, you think you have plenty of time. That is, until you realize you need multiple costumes in just a few days or hours! Not to worry. Here are some last-minute ideas you can easily accomplish from clothes you probably already have in your wardrobe.

1. WEDNESDAY ADDAMS

jenna ortega as wednesday
Netflix

This costume may be extremely popular this year, but it’s for good reason. Wednesday can be incredibly easy to pull off — a little black dress is essential to every closet. After your hair goes into two pigtail braids, you’re practically a shoe-in for Jenna Ortega! If you’re feeling extra or have some spare time, you can even purchase an attachable white collar for extra accuracy.

2. scarecrow

This is one of the simplest yet most underrated costumes ever. It’s all in the makeup! Check out these pins for inspo. After that, all you need is a pair of jeans and a trusty plaid top. Straw hats are recommended but optional.

3. VAMPIRE

I cannot stress how simple this costume can be and how good you can look in it! Don some vampy makeup (blacks and reds) and equally dark clothes. This can range to any type of garment in your closet. The best part? Fake blood is sold at multiple chain retailers around the area. You won’t even need fangs for people to get the idea! You can just muss up your hair a bit to be a just-bitten vampiric victim.

4. ghost

No, I don’t mean the sheets with the eye holes cut out. This costume is a great opportunity to reuse a staple white dress you may have hanging in your closet. You can make the rest of this look as cute or as creepy as possible with the makeup, and it definitely presents an opportunity for some clever “boo-themed” Insta captions.

5. risky business

Tom Cruise in his iconic dancing scene in “Risky Business” (1983).

Got a white collared shirt lying around? Some sunglasses? Wonderful, because that’s all you need! Wear some cute shorts or spandex underneath with some white socks and you’re golden. (Fun fact: Tom Cruise doesn’t actually wear sunglasses in the original scene, but since he wears them so often throughout the movie, most costume iterations include some black sunnies!)

6. Burglar

Here’s another option that allows you to utilize some all-black closet staples with an option for keeping yourself away from the cold! Simply outline the shape of an eye mask with eyeliner and fill in with eyeshadow or face paint. This is instantly recognizable to most people, but if you’re looking for some warm accessorizing, add a black beanie and a pair of gloves.

7. cat

Of course, it wouldn’t be a last-minute halloween article without the mention of a cat. Grab your go-to all-black fit of choice, draw some whiskers and nose with eyeliner and snatch up a pair of cat ears. With how popular this costume is (rightfully so) I’d be willing to bet you could snag some ears from a friend or roommate around. If not, try following this TikTok tutorial for a DIY cat ear braid!

8. zombie

This costume aligns closely with the scarecrow on how simple but underutilized I find it to be. The makeup for this can be extremely fun and versatile as well. Accentuated veins, cuts and bruises, gaunt contour — the world is your oyster. If you have old clothes you’ve been wanting to get rid of, grab a pair of scissors and get cutting! If not, roll some machine-washable basics in some dirt and grime and you’re already a part of the living dead.

As always, have a safe Halloween and remember to drink lots of water. Happy Halloweekend to college students everywhere, and enjoy your costume!

Kendall Mecom is a new edition to the writing team for the Her Campus at University of Kansas chapter. She has been a member of Her Campus KU since August of 2023 and has an interest for culture, style and wellness. Outside of Her Campus, Kendall is a junior at the University of Kansas studying Journalism & Mass Communications with a concentration in Digital Marketing, Advertising and Public Relations. She is pursuing a minor in English and Creative Writing as well. Over the summer, Kendall spent a semester abroad in Rome, Italy studying creativity, culture and journalism. She plans to graduate in the spring of 2025. In her spare time, Kendall loves to bake sweets and watch sports. She is a massive KU football and basketball fan but an even bigger Swiftie. She loves iced coffee, cats, music, movies and autumn. Her current favorite films are Greta Gerwig's Barbie and her 2019 remake of Little Women. Kendall also enjoys the occasional recreational volleyball and tennis games with her friends.