7 Things Everyone Should Know BEFORE Going to Their First Football Game

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

My first football game was both everything and nothing that I was expecting. I really enjoyed the team spirit and the enthusiasm in the stands. About ten minutes in I started to notice a few things I really should’ve considered before coming out to the game. Now, this may just only be me, but I feel it is better to be safe than sorry. Therefore, I present to you my top seven things everyone should know before attending their first football game.

1. Where you sit, matters.

Last thing you want is to be sitting behind a bunch of people that are really tall and you can’t see the game. Also, aim to sit where you are facing (close enough to) directly in front of the center of the field. It’ll make seeing the game easier and also watching what happens on the sidelines. Whether it be the band, the other team or even occasionally taking glances at the cheerleaders, you really want to experience it all. It’s your first game!

2. Sneak in your own drinks and snacks.

I recommend sneaking in your own food and drinks because I know they don’t allow you to bring in your own. Believe me, it’s so worth it. Unless you are perfectly fine with paying four dollars for WATER I suggest you bring your own beverage. Also, bring a few snacks in case you get hungry. The price of food and drinks at these games are absurd. But hey, if you don’t have a problem with spending the extra money, go right for it!

Photo Credit: pinimg.com

3. Know the home color of your team’s uniform.

Now, this one is for people like me. I honestly thought that my school’s football team was going to come out in all blue like I see in the photos, to my surprise they came rushing out in red. I thought it was the other team for a moment until my friend corrected me and then proceeded with a face palm. I really cannot stress how important it is for you to know the colors of your school’s team. Believe me, it’ll save you from embarrassment.

4.Understand the scoring system.

I sat down for a few minutes because standing was starting to get a little bit tiresome. When I stood back up I say that the game was 0-6 and I turned to my friend and exclaimed “How did they get six touchdowns in three minutes?!” That’s when she explained to me that one touchdown does not equal one point but six. This one caused more awkward looks from others around me. This actually brings up something else you should know about your first game…

5. Dress and come prepared for the weather.

Make sure you check the weather for that day and dress accordingly. In my case it was crazy hot and even though I had on a “breezy” dress I really should’ve went with shorts and a no-sleeve blouse. Also, bring along things to help you keep cool (or warm). If its going to be as hot as it was for my first game, consider bringing a small hand fan. And if it’s going to be much cooler, consider bring a blanket or sweater. And if there is a chance it might rain, I suggest bringing a hoodie and/or a small compacted umbrella. Overall, just make sure you are prepared for whatever weather you find yourself facing that day.

Photo Credit: buzzfeed.com

6. You are expected to stand for majority of the game.

You’re not obligated and if you so want to sit you can, but remember the first point I made? Yeah, if you sit you are guaranteed to miss a whole lot of the action because everyone in front and beside you will be standing. It’s okay to sit every once and a while. Standing for long periods of time and get tiresome, but try not to sit for too long.

7. Lastly, stay for the whole game.

Regardless of how bad your team may suck, or how horrible the weather is, or how boring you may think it is at the moment, stay. It’s all about what you make out of it. A bad game doesn’t have to equal a bad experience. My regret while leaving was not staying until the end of the game. I won’t be able to celebrate the win (or mourn the loss) with my peers. I probably could’ve connected and made friends with people that I probably would’ve seen outside of this event. There is so much more than just the game that is there. You have a community with people you may not know, but the one thing that you do know is that you all rep the same team. You are all one. And that unity is something that goes far beyond game day.

Photo Credit: big12footballfan.blogspot.com