7 reasons why you should be excited for December

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Maybe it’s knowing that the semester is almost over, or surplus of scarves everywhere, but December is the most wonderful time of the year. Everyone is a little nicer and more joyful than usual. Of course, they could want to score a nice gift. Either way, the holidays give you good feelings.  Instead of thinking about the end of school, let’s focus on what December has in store for us.

Letter Writing Day (Dec. 7)

I know this is a foreign concept for children of the technological age, but December has a day devoted to hand writing a letter. Remember the days you used to write letters to Santa Claus? Maybe it’s a love letter to that special someone, or just a letter to a friend to remind them how awesome they are. Either way, put down your phone and pick up a pen and paper and write your heart’s content out – then mail it out.

Human Rights Day (Dec. 10)

The United Nations wanted a day to recognize human rights. This year marks the 20th anniversary since this has become established. It is a day to reflect on where we’ve come from and how far we still have to go. It includes in topics such as slavery, human trafficking or gay rights. It happens every December, on this day. Take the time to appreciate what they’ve worked for and do a good deed of your own.

National Ice Cream Day (Dec. 13)

I don’t care who you are or where you come from, everybody loves ice cream. How could you not? I know it’s cold, but I won’t accept that as an excuse not to eat ice cream. It’s on Stop Day – so you’ll have plenty of time to grab your friends and treat yourself. Don’t forget the toppings!

Go Caroling Day (Dec. 20)

This is the last day of finals, so why not go sing your heart out? Bring your family or your friends and have a blast. Spread Christmas cheer to everyone around you. It’s great that it’s five days before Christmas. Your neighbors will certainly appreciate a very loud, off key version of “Deck the Halls,” as long as it’s sung from the heart.

Winter Solstice or First Day of winter (Dec. 21)

It’s a day for us to woefully say goodbye to fall and welcome winter. This may not sound exciting, but think about all of the hot chocolate and shameless scarf wearing headed your way. Cozy up with a hot mug of coffee and your favorite book (you deserve it after finals).

Christmas (Dec. 25)

Need I say more? No matter what holiday you celebrate, enjoy family time and break from crazy schoolwork. Happy Holidays, Lady Jayhawks!