The Lalagirl Sunglasses Jumping Backback Converse Happy
Her Campus Media

5 Daily Things to End the Semester Strong

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

It’s that point in the semester where things start to go downhill. I just got back from fall break, and now that I reflect on it, I can’t believe the semester is halfway over, but at the same time, I can’t believe I still have half the semester left. The stress I’m feeling, especially as a senior, is overwhelming.

Combine academic stress and the seasons changing, let’s just say it’s a bad cocktail. Seasonal depression, also known as Seasonal Affective Disorder,  is no joke. According to Appalachian State University, 25% of college students experience the winter blues. Some common symptoms are difficulty waking up as the days get shorter, difficulty concentrating, feeling sad, lack of enthusiasm for previously enjoyable activities and craving carbohydrates. 

I am not a mental health professional and cannot give medical advice. If you are struggling, I encourage you to seek help. There are resources and people that can help. However, I can tell you five things I do to make my days easier and to end the semester strong.

1. Fuel My Body (Properly)

If there is one thing I’ve noticed, when I don’t fuel my body, I will not have a good day. It can feel tempting to skip meals for the sake of saving time, but bodies and brains need energy. This also includes drinking water throughout the day.

2. Hit the Hay

I can’t control if I get a good night’s rest. It may get too hot in my room, or my upstairs neighbors might be noisy, but I can control when I go to bed. The younger me would stay up into early morning hours watching Netflix and scrolling social media. The older me has a dedicated bedtime at 11:30 p.m., and I can tell a difference in my health when I don’t adhere to it.

3. Plan, plan, plan

I am my father’s daughter, meaning I am a planner. It can seem intimidating looking at everything I need to do, but making a practical plan to achieve my to-do list relieves unnecessary stress later on. A virtual or physical calendar will be your best friend.

4. Treat yourself

Life is hard, and sometimes people deserve a lil’ treat. I am a big advocate for celebrating success in my life. I get an “A” on a paper and that deserves a treat. I stick to my study plan for an exam and that deserves a treat. I finally sent that slightly scary email and that deserves a treat.

5. Get Away from school

The second half of the semester can get busy, and I always have something on my to-do list, but I always try to make time to get away from school. My favorite way to do this is by spending time with my friends. On busy days, this can look like putting away my homework at 9 p.m. though.

These are five tips that work for me. They may seem obvious, but it truly is the simple things in life that make it better.

Hanna Brown is the writing director at the Her Campus at KU (University of Kansas) chapter. She oversees the writing team and acts as the publisher, ensuring all articles meet the Her Campus standards of quality and reverence. In addition to her duties as the publisher, Hanna leads weekly writer meetings and builds a safe environment where writers feel empowered to be creative. Beyond Her Campus, Hanna is the marketing/communication assistant for the Engineering Career Center at KU. Last summer, Hanna interned for Burns & McDonnell as a marketing writer/editor. There, she gained experience writing technical blogs centered around engineering, copy for digital marketing and new releases. She also interned for Southern Star Central Gas Pipeline in corporate communications. A senior at KU, Hanna is pursuing a BSJ in digital marketing communications, advertising and public relations with a minor in history. In her free time, Hanna loves to visit local coffee shops and explore her college town. She is obsessed with the Sims 4 and wants to start a podcast. Her motivation in life is to do everything in love. After college, Hanna hopes to move to the city and start a career in public relations, branding, digital marketing or copy/content writing.