This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

(Source: Cultural Detective)

1. It’s okay not to know the language

There are over 40 languages in Europe, close to 2,000 in Africa and close to 7,000 spoken across the whole planet. You can’t know them all and it’s incredibly difficult to learn languages.

I know the language barrier was one of the scariest things for me when studying abroad. Our tour guides always tried teaching us a few basic phrases like “please,” “thank you” and “Where’s the bathroom?” But it’s hard to remember them on the spot. However, like most experienced travelers say, the natives really do appreciate the effort. In fact, out of the 70 or 80 people I interacted with in other countries, only one was snippy enough to correct me in a less-than-friendly manner. And if you’re really struggling to communicate, it’s clear that both sides are trying their best without annoyance or hostility.

So don’t fear the language barrier. Try your best, smile and learn from the experience.

2. It’s okay to spend money

It costs a lot to study abroad, and as college kids, we’re already broke.

But how many times in your life are you going to get the chance to buy foreign little knick-knack? To eat that delicious delicacy? Set a small budget for cases like this and even allow yourself a little wiggle room within that budget just in case something extra special pops up. Be reasonable, but remember, you have to have fun as well.

(Source: CIEE Study Abroad Company)

3. It’s okay to talk to people

You’re studying abroad to learn, to experience and to grow as a person. One of the best ways to do so is to let yourself be open to new ideas. Every continent, country or even state has its own unique culture. Embrace and accept these differences with an open heart and open mind.

Don’t be afraid to talk to people, whether it be your tour guide, the person next to you on the plane or a local. That’s the most effective way to learn. Most people are willing to talk if you’re polite and seem genuine in your curiosity. So talk to them about their history, their culture, their lifestyle and don’t be judgmental. Be willing to answer any questions they have as well. Treat this experience as a cultural exchange.

4. It’s okay to ask for help

The language barrier and navigation are fears that go hand in hand. How are you supposed to find your way if you get separated from the group and can’t read signs or ask for directions? The best thing to do is to simply ask for help. Some people will speak English and it’s worth the try. Try approaching a shop worker or a police officer for help. It may seem intimidating but it’s better than being lost indefinitely in a foreign environment.

In addition, don’t be afraid to ask for help in any situation. Fellow travelers may have to same question but may be too shy to ask them – and it never hurts to ask. Some things to ask about are gestures that may be impolite in that region, what the bathroom situation will be like or even something simple like what the best thing to eat is.

(Source: Tony Husband on CartoonStock.com)

5. It’s okay not to try all the local cuisine

I know everyone says to try the local delicacies. I encourage that, but it’s okay not to as well. This experience is about broadening yourself, opening your mind and putting yourself out of your comfort zone. This might mean eating the snails of Paris or the Shanghai hairy crab of China.

However, if you’re like me, you have a sensitive stomach and are wary of what you ingest. My suggestion is to try at least a bite of the meal. But, if you’re feeling completely uncomfortable with it, you don’t have to. You know your stomach and feeling or being sick while trying to enjoy your experience abroad is no fun.