priscilla du preez WacbrU86JIw unsplash
priscilla du preez WacbrU86JIw unsplash

5 Rom-Coms to Get You To Valentines Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

​Valentine’s Day can really put one in the “feels”. While we all can’t be blessed with chocolates, diamonds, and roses, we have an easy outlet: the fantasy world of a love that isn’t yours. Here is a quick list of 5 romantic comedies to satisfy your longing, at least for the duration of the movie.

50 First Dates

Despite this being a typical Adam Sandler film, it still makes me cry every time, and I’m not exactly sure why. Of course I love the fact that he trains sea animals, and its set in Hawaii, but I think what I love most about it is the “good guy deeds” Henry does for Lucy in an attempt to help her cope with her memory loss.

Number one reason to watch: The storyline itself. I don’t want to give too much away, but the final resolution of the movie will have you crying with joy and love for the character of Henry.

Source

13 Going on 30

Any woman can relate to the longing of a thirteen year old as she flips through magazines. The headline “thirty, flirty, and thriving” will forever stick with us, as will the beloved awkwardness of the teenage “Mattie”. It was this movie that made me want to have my dream house, and also maybe someday write for a magazine.

Number one reason to watch: The thriller dance scene/wardrobe of Jenna at the magazine party was a total game changer.

source

How to Lose A Guy in 10 Days

The female lead of Andy Anderson makes all girls want to go out and defy the limits and expectations, but the daunting looks of Benjamin (Benny Boo Boo!) Barry capture the attention immediately. Also, what girl can’t laugh at the scene when she turns his sophisticated and manly apartment into a feminine shrine, featuring tampons, baby books, and teddy bears on the bed.

Number one reason to watch: The simple persistence of both parties, and the ultimate love story that unfolds in the battle of the bet.

source

Clueless

Fall in love with Cher’s beauty, style, and heart to help others. In an attempt to make everyone around her happy and satisfied, Cher falls in love unknowingly with the most unexpected character of all.

But, the number one reason to watch Clueless: the freaking amazing outfit choices. Whoever ran the fashion design in this movie deserves a gold star, because the iconic looks of Cher and Dionne are still popular Halloween costumes (and frankly, anytime ensembles) today.

source

Bridesmaids

Not your first thought when it comes to the classic charm of a romantic comedy, Bridesmaids will instead have you cracking at the seams, even when you know you shouldn’t laugh at “the street scene”.

Number one reason to watch Bridesmaids: the character development of Annie (and her relationship with the supporting characters in the movie), will make you cherish your friendships and relate to the overwhelm of trying to please everyone.  

source

Happy viewing, and happy laughs all!

SaveSave

Madeleine is a senior at the University of Kansas double majoring in Creative Writing and Journalism. Originally from Omaha, Nebraska, Madeleine spent the last few years of her high school career publishing two books (http://www.lulu.com/shop/m-rheinheimer/project-105/paperback/product-23264977.html + http://www.lulu.com/shop/madeleine-rheinheimer/undefined/paperback/product-22938535.html)  and traveling around the city speaking and sharing with locals. Knowing since the fourth grade that she was destined to be a writer when she grew up, Madeleine enjoys anything that involves creative expression. You can follow her personal blog at: https://illiterateblondes.com