5 Reasons Why Schitt’s Creek Should Be on Your Top 10 List

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Netflix is filled with amazing shows to binge-watch at any time; one of the best ones out there has got to be Schitt’s Creek, a sitcom that follows the financial decline of the Rose family and their adjustment to life in a small town. Here’s why:

1. Relatable characters
  • The dialogue and conversations are authentic—it makes you feel part of the show, and the acting is such that you really feel connected to them and their situation. It’s a journey they’re taking and you’re part of that too. 
  1. Representation 
  • “I like the wine, and not the label.” Probably one of the most memorable moments of the whole show is the conversation Stevie and David have about sexuality. It’s a passing moment, with no direct focus on it, because on this show, your sexuality is not all that you are, but a small part of you. And that seamless transition, that different focus, matters. 
  1.  Sibling Relationship 
  • David and Alexis have iconic arguments from time to time, and their dynamic is very much one that older and younger siblings tend to have: they fight, but they love each other. And that dynamic is represented in a very positive and playful way.
  1. Love relationships
  • The show does an excellent job at portraying the complexity of love relationships: preferences, goals, etc. A lot of the challenges that we go through with our partners are portrayed in the show in a very mature and understanding way . 
  1. Comedy 
  • As it is a sitcom, the humor behind it all—the sarcasm, the jokes, the very serious conversations that are actually hilarious because of the serious tone behind them. Schitt’s Creek is a great example of comedy done right. 

If you’ve yet to watch the show, you’re in for a treat! This might just be one of the best sitcoms Netflix has added to its list.

Hi, I'm Giuliana, a junior at KU. Double majoring in journalism and psychology. I'm excited to share my stories with you!