This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

First, some background. My hair had been stressing me out for years. Since my very first encounter with the classic bad-breakup-hair-dye-disaster, I’ve been bleaching it, cutting it, and all-around damaging it to a point of no return. By mid-February of this year, I had spent an insane amount of money getting “permanent” hair extensions down to my waist, and I still felt insecure. I was distraught. I’d officially tried everything. Well, everything short of shaving it all off.

The decision to make the shave was quick, impulsive, and more than a little fueled by the stress of school at the time, but it was the best choice I’ve ever made. These past seven months have been all about growth (both emotional and physical, badoom-CHA), and I don’t think I would’ve learned the same lessons had I not picked up the scissors. Also, contrary to popular belief, shaving your head requires neither a breakup nor a breakdown. So here are five reasons why I think you should consider joining the club.

come on… You know you want to

If you clicked on this article, I’m gonna guess there’s at least a tiny piece of you that’s always wondered what it would be like to shave your head. In fact, the most common reaction I got from other girls when I first did the deed was: “I’ve always wanted to shave my head, but I’m too scared to actually do it!”

I know it’s easier said than done but… don’t be! These years are all about self-expression and figuring out who we are. This is the time to be fearless! If you’ve been waiting for someone to give you the go-ahead or tell you to just go for it, I am more than happy to help.

it gives your hair a break

In the past three years, I must’ve dyed and/or bleached my hair over twenty times. Now that’s an extreme. But I think it’s easy to lose track of just how much we put our hair through. Chances are, if you do anything more than an actual haircut at the salon, your hair is sustaining some kind of damage. Split ends build up and highlights get brittle. I mean, how many of us really use heat protectants every single time we curl or straighten our hair?

Shaving your head is a chance to start fresh and give your natural hair a chance to (literally) shine through. I’ve noticed that my own hair is growing back thicker than it’s been in years.

it’s “in” — and for good reason

During lockdown, there was something of a “boom” in bald girlies. Shaving your head became a trend on TikTok, a funny way for us to collectively cope with all the craziness going on. So now, a shaved head is much more fashionable than it ever was pre-COVID. Celebrities like Dixie D’Amelio and Iris Law are currently rocking the look, and some styles just look bolder, more chic, with a short pixie cut to go with it.

It’ll give you a super-boost of confidence

Don’t get me wrong, some things were tougher after making the chop. For the first couple of months, I was all in my head about… well, my head. I felt like I couldn’t wear certain clothes, or do certain things. But somewhere around the three-month mark, I decided to stop holding myself back and just did whatever I wanted.

I was totally free. Once I broke through my own vanity, I realized I had this huge store of energy that I could put toward bettering myself instead of stressing over my hair. And, as a special surprise from the universe, I found that the less I thought about my appearance, the more confidence I actually had in it.

Plus, shaving your head is a flex in itself. By doing so, you’re showing that you’re brave enough to try something new— and if that doesn’t give you confidence I don’t know what will.

it’ll grow back

Hair pretty much has one job, and that’s to grow. So yeah, if you don’t like the short hair you can eventually pretend like it never happened. But why not capitalize on this time? As your hair grows out, you’ll get to see it in ways you never would’ve gotten to try otherwise. A crew cut, a pixie, a bob, a french bob… the possibilities are endless. Maybe the total shave isn’t for you, but you may just find your new signature style mere months later.

It’s been about seven months since I shaved my head and I’m fully confident that it has changed my life for the better. I have decided to grow out my natural hair, but I’m so glad I gave this a shot. I’m more sure of myself, more grounded, and I know I’ll never touch a bleach kit again. Plus, when I’m sixty years old (with my hair down to my ankles if I have my way), I’ll be able to brag to my grandchildren about the time I shaved my head, and looked good doing it.

Reece Wohlford is a first-year student writer for the KU chapter of Her Campus. Reece strives to be creative in her approach to researching and writing original articles every week. She is especially interested in the areas of fashion, books, and the arts. Reece is currently an English major at the University of Kansas and is working toward a concentration in Creative Writing. In her free time, Reece enjoys reading, going to the gym, and tweaking her incredibly specific Spotify playlists over and over again. She can often be found obsessively working on (but never quite finishing) her acrylic paintings, learning songs on the piano, or struggling with her personal writing projects. Reece loves spending time outside, going out with friends, and hanging out with her family. Her entire camera roll is either pictures of her cat, Wizard, or the dogs at the doggy daycare where she works part-time.