This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

We all have those nights when we just need a good cry. So grab some comfort food, a warm blanket and some tissues and get ready to ugly cry. 

1. La La Land

After seeing this movie in theaters, I don’t think emotionally I will ever be the same. If you’re in the mood for a musical and some comedy, I recommend this movie. Amazing actors Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone portray a young couple who is just getting on their feet. Mia is an aspiring actress, and Sebastian a jazz musician. With great music, a beautiful love story and a surprise ending, this movie is guaranteed to leave you crying for days. 

1. If I Stay 

Another movie about young love, this heartbreaking story portrays a girl in a passionate relationship with a musician. He pushes her out of her comfort zone, and they fall in love very quickly. After getting in an accident, Mia has to decide whether she wants to stay alive or pass away. The movie shows flashbacks of Mia and Adam falling in love, while also showing her struggle to stay alive. You won’t be able to pull your eyes away from the screen as you watch Mia decide whether she wants to stay with Adam and follow her dreams of going to Juilliard, or pass away. Get your tissues ready, because this one will ruin you. 

1. Five Feet Apart 

Honestly, I didn’t expect much the first time I watched this. I saw Cole Sprouse and immediately thought it would be a Riverdale-esque drama romance. I was terribly mistaken. Halfway through the movie, I had already reached for my tissues and was sniffling up a storm. A young girl named Stella is battling Cystic Fibrosis and must live in the hospital. A boy named Will is only a few doors down, battling the same disease. Stella is annoyed by Will at first, but eventually takes a liking to him after helping him with his treatment. They grow a friendship that begins to become more. One problem: Cystic Fibrosis patients cannot get within five feet of each other. They are battling for their lives, and falling in love all at once. The ending made me cry harder than I have in years, but also made my heart so warm and happy … many mixed emotions. If you want a heartwarming (and heart-wrenching) story, give this one a watch. 

1. The Half of It

While this movie isn’t technically a romance, it portrays platonic love. This movie will teach you what it means to love your friends no matter the circumstance. A shy girl named Ellie Chu helps a jock Paul Munsky get a girl (that she secretly is in love with too). She helps him write love letters to Aster Flores, while she is falling in love herself. Paul and Ellie become best friends as they are trying to romance Aster. Even though they go through ups and downs, in the end they always do what’s best for each other. The last scene will make you happy and sad cry, and you may not know how you feel when it ends. 

1. Call Me by Your Name 

Yes, I do in fact ignore the fact that Armie Hammer is a weirdo, and continue to watch this movie. It’s too good to pass up. Elio Perlman is a teenage boy living in northern Italy in 1983, when Oliver comes to stay with his family. A forbidden romance begins to grow, and they fall deeply in love. Their relationship stays hidden from everyone around them, and they experience many adventures together throughout the summer. But Oliver has to leave at the end. Will their relationship stand the test of distance? Guess you’ll have to watch to find out. But remember…you’re going to need lots of tissues…and probably some chocolate.