Style > Fashion

5 Fashion Trends I Used to Despise but are Now Sitting in My Amazon Cart

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

1) Biker shorts:

When I tell you I used to dislike biker shorts, I mean I used to HATE them. Coming from a previous volleyball player who does not have little thighs, I used to think that biker shorts only looked good on girls with thin legs and a tiny waist. In fact, I would consistently voice my disgust with them, enough that my boyfriend now calls me a hypocrite for wearing them. I can’t pinpoint the exact moment I changed my opinion, but my closet now contains two pairs and I am fighting the urge to purchase a pair from Lululemon.

2) The above-the-chest sweaters:

I do not think I am alone on this one. You know which ones I’m talking about: the sweaters that don’t even cover your bra. My first impression of these were that they were absolutely horrendous; I am sure my mother would agree. On the other hand, now I am thinking they are the perfect little going out sweater. Maybe it’s because I am a sucker for long sleeves, or maybe it’s because the models I see wearing the sweaters look stunning. Either way, I now have both a black and brown version in my SHEIN cart. 

3) Puffy dresses:

Don’t get me wrong, I love big, flowy dresses, especially if they’re wedding gowns. But, I have never been able to get on board with the super short, puffy sleeves and puffy bottom dresses. Recently, however, Instagram and VSCO photos have changed my mind. I have come to think of the style as fun, girly and flirty. While I am not sure if I could pull off this style, I do think the people wearing it are rocking it; I very much want to be them. 

4) Thumb Rings:

When on FaceTime with my family the other day, my dad asked me, “Since when do you wear thumb rings?” I have been wearing them frequently lately, but I have never really considered them to be “thumb rings.” I simply just thought of them as rings that I happen to wear on my thumb. However, now that I think about it, I never would have worn rings on my thumb even two years ago. My past self would be so disappointed, but my present self is loving it.

5) Chunky White/Black Shoes:

Similar to biker shorts, I vocally and quite frequently voiced my negative opinion on the chunky shoe trend. FILAs made me cringe, and I thought the trend would be short-lived. Obviously I was wrong; the chunky shoes are here to stay, and I’m thankful for it. I now think the shoes are adorable and can make a cute little dress or skirt look 10 times better (especially the previously mentioned puffy dress). While, at the moment, I cannot afford FILAs or chunky white Converse, I do see a purchase in my future.

Hi my name is Audrey! I'm majoring in Strategic Communications at KU- so excited for you to take a look at my writing:)