This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

I’m what you like to call a personality quiz junkie.

I’m serious. I can spend an embarrassing amount of time surfing the internet, taking an array of quizzes on different media outlets to come to the conclusion that my spirit animal is a dolphin, my blue nail polish means I’m typically easy-going, and apparently I would be sorted into the Gryffindor house at Hogwarts.

While my amateur understanding of personality may be somewhat surface level, I do know one thing for certain: books have directly influenced and shaped my personality over time. Throughout my life I’ve come across all sorts of books that challenge my beliefs, introduce new/exciting concepts, and open up a world of perspectives I’d otherwise be blind to. Of the many powerful books that changed the way I view the world, here are five of my favorites:

(Don’t worry, I’ll avoid spoilers!)

1. Ishmael by Daniel Quinn

“I have amazing news for you. Man is not alone on this planet. He is part of a community, upon which he depends absolutely.”

This novel is thought provoking on a number of levels. For one, it is told from the perspective of an unnamed narrator and (brace yourself) a highly evolved gorilla that communicates telepathically. Once you get passed the concept of a talking primate, the novel is great for encouraging readers to think critically on a number of philosophical issues regarding ethics and sustainability. The novel questions the origin of myths, the consequences of modern civilization, and the possibility of global catastrophe. If you are looking to impress your Great Aunt Dorothy at the next family reunion, this is the perfect novel to make yourself sound more cultured and worldly.

2. Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver

“I shiver, thinking how easy it is to be totally wrong about people-to see one tiny part of them and confuse it for the whole, to see the cause and think it’s the effect or vice versa”

Ever heard of the “Groundhog Day” phenomenon?  It’s where a person continues to live the same day over and over again despite their best efforts to escape the time loop. Well, this is exactly what happens to Sam Kingston, the protagonist of our story, on the day of her death at the beginning of the novel. For the remainder of the book, Sam must figure out how to go about her day differently in order to change her future. Now, I have to give a disclaimer. This novel is a total tear jerker. However, it’s worth the read because it exposes readers to the dangers of only seeing people through one narrow lens, and ends with an important take-away message: words matter.

3.The Time Traveler’s Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

“Time is priceless, but it’s Free. You can’t own it, you can use it. You can spend it. But you can’t keep it. Once you’ve lost it you can never get it back.”

Knowing your future can be tempting – and that’s what makes this novel so alluring. The Time Traveler’s Wife is more than a traditional love story. It follows the relationship of Henry, a man with the uncontrollable ability to time travel, and his past/present/future wife, Clare. While it can be a bit complicated to follow sometimes, the story nevertheless has you engaged and asking an endless series of (maybe) unanswerable questions: Is there such thing as fate/destiny? How much of my future is determined by the actions I make, and how much is determined by unchangeable circumstances? Will time travel ever be possible?

4. Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult

“If you spent your life concentrating on what everyone else thought of you, would you forget who you really were?”

Trigger Warning. This novel deals with the unfortunate topic of school shootings – a topic that has dominated the news in recent months due to the increase of horrific mass shootings. While tragedy is an important aspect of this story, I want to emphasize that this novel is more than just a book about a school shooting. Nineteen Minutes focuses on the everyday struggles the average American teenager deals with. It is a reminder that every individual has their own unique story. It encourages readers to alter their perspectives and put themselves in someone else’s shoes. It is a testimony that all humans deal with pain in different ways.

5. Finding God in the Waves by Mike McHargue

“People grow when they are loved well. If you want to help others heal, love them without an agenda.”

Finding God in the Waves is a great balance: the first half an emotional testimony of a man who lost his faith and found it again through science, and the other half pages full of interesting scientific research. While the title may have some people running for the hills, and others scratching their heads, I promise this book can be beneficial for all types of people. It can be healing for spiritual folk who want to balance science and religion. It can be helpful for those who don’t understand why people decide to follow a certain faith. It can encourage those spiritual and non-spiritual to recognize and understand the other side of the argument. This book can be a catalyst for some great philosophical conversation.

Maddie is a freshman at the University of Kansas studying Psychology and Philosphy. Maddie is originally from Chicago but most recently lived in a small town of southern Illinois. While she has ambitions to pursue a Ph.D in Counseling Psychology after her undergraduate, Maddie is passionate about both reading and writing poetry. Maddie loves pizza, Italian greyhounds, and spending time with her friends and family.