My nineteenth year on this planet is coming to an end. I turn 20 in less than a week, and I can detect my oncoming quarter-life-crisis like a dog senses a thunderstorm. I’ll be okay, though– I just don’t want to grow up. (Seriously though, can time slow the f*ck down? I’m not ready for my teenage years to be over.)
Anyway, this year has been a year of growth and clarity. Here are 19 things I learned when I was 19.
Focus on who is there for you, not who isn’t.
People don’t do what they say, they do what they do. (Straight out of the mouth of Kerry Benson.)
Men are still trash.
Doing things alone is fun.
Credit cards are dangerous.
I’m allergic to red dye #40.
Some friendships are temporary. Some friendships transcend time and place.
Republican girls are some of the most annoying people on the planet. Exhibit A:
9. Frat parties are actually not fun.
10. Strength training is more effective than cardio.
11. Subtle makeup sometimes looks prettier than a full beat-down.
12. College flies by.
13. Girls will hate other girls for literally no reason.
14. Mardi Gras is overrated.
15. Someone who wants to be with you will make the effort.
16. Two words: SELF CARE.
17. Boys will f*ck with your head and act like they did nothing wrong (see #3).
18. Forgiveness is part of healing.
19. ...but so is cutting toxic people out of your life.