This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

This summer I was able to go on a month-long study abroad program in the U.K. It was a lot of fun and made up for the past two years being taken away due to a worldwide pandemic. The only issue I had with this was that I had never traveled out of the U.S. before. My family wasn’t big on vacations, especially since there were so many of us, so bringing us on a vacation to Florida or California was exhausting enough, let alone having to get a passport, hotels, flights, and planning a trip to a completely different country. Through some trial and error, here are some of the best tips for studying abroad that I wish someone had told me in advance. 

1. Apply to as many scholarships for the program as possible. 

There are usually plenty of scholarships you can apply to in the department, you can also apply to ones outside of KU. I wish I had known this before as you will spend a lot of money on souvenirs, clothes, food, etc., especially if you’re there for longer than a week. If I had applied for more scholarships, I feel like my bank account wouldn’t have taken such a hard hit, however, I don’t regret it. 

1. Make sure you have a debit card or credit card that doesn’t have an international surcharge. 

Speaking of money, I didn’t discover this until my mother told me about this as I had never traveled alone before, let alone out of the country. Having a card, such as Capital One, is super beneficial as the surcharges abroad may seem low at the time, but add up over time. American Express and Discover are not accepted everywhere so having a Mastercard or Visa brand card is essential. 

1. Don’t be alarmed when you have to get your ID checked for buying things with your card.

When traveling abroad you will always have the risk of someone stealing your card or card information. So, if you pay with a card abroad you usually have to sign, and they will check your signature on the card of your ID to make sure it is you. This is not a cause for concern, it is for your own protection. Personally, I find it helpful so that I know the company is being safe. 

1. Do not get cash from anywhere except inside a bank.

If you don’t want to deal with getting a credit card, physical money is always a great alternative. However, you still need to have a card to get the cash. Getting currency at the airport or bank before you arrive is always a good way to go. Beware of the airport currency area because sometimes they will screw you over with the exchange rate. It’s always a good idea to have physical currency abroad, to begin with, as you will want to go to places where they may only accept cash. If you wait to get currency until you are in that country, only get it inside a bank, do not use an outdoor ATM. These outdoor ATMs are usually ways to steal your card information, best to not risk it and just speak to a teller in person. 

1. When packing, pack light! 

I had many study abroad friends who packed three bags worth of clothes, shoes, and other supplies and had to end up buying the fourth suitcase. Pack light— you will thank yourself later. Pro-tip, look at what the weather is like in that country during that particular month or season and go from there. Pack clothing that can easily layer and try to watch videos of how to make a capsule wardrobe. You will also buy plenty of clothes there, so you don’t need a specific outfit for every day that you will be there. 

1. When you arrive in the country you are studying in, go buy a local sim card.

I too thought that I could just use my phone plans international plan, but it sucked through the data so quickly as I was looking up directions on where to go, restaurants in the area, etc. If you are going to the U.K. or another country in Europe you can usually get a SIM card for about $20-$30 which is significantly less and gives you better coverage than your original phone plan. Just don’t lose your original SIM card!

1. When trying to go somewhere abroad, don’t use Google or Apple maps. 

I discovered very quickly during my trip that Google and Apple maps are not exactly the most accurate. I was recommended to download City Mapper by my professor and it was extremely helpful. It will save you a lot of headaches if you download it before your trip begins. 

1. Just because something on the menu looks familiar, does not mean that it will be the same. 

Unfortunately, if you are looking for Mexican food or a good burger in the U.K. or Europe you are out of luck. If you think something is going to be the same as back home because the name is the same, you are very wrong. Serving sizes are much smaller (which I greatly appreciated) but they also prepare food differently and have their own way of making it. This doesn’t mean that it will be the worst food ever, just keep an open mind. 

1.  Make friends with the people you are on the trip with. 

Most likely you are not going to know every single person that you go on your trip with, or maybe you are going alone, either way, branch out and make friends. Having someone to go out to dinner or drinks with makes the experience much more enjoyable in comparison to just hanging out in your hotel room. 

1.  Don’t get upset when you don’t get to do everything on your list.

You are only able to do so much during a study abroad trip, especially if you’re only there for a week or two. Resting and doing your homework instead of going out one day is okay! You can always come back and do the things that you missed. 

No matter what you do, or where you go on your trip, remember to document as much as you can. Make millions of photos and live in the moment. You will think about this trip for the rest of your life!

Sophomore, Reader, Writer, & Collector of Trinket Boxes.