This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

Clothing is an interesting thing. For me, clothing has always been a way to express myself; I pride myself on being represented through what I choose to put on my body. It’s a way in which I celebrate myself, feel confident, and present myself to the world. At least, growing up in Southern California, that was all clothing was.

Now that I live in a place with seasons, clothing began to serve another purpose. Back home, I could wear a light sweater and a jean jacket in the winter and call it a day, maybe a scarf if I was feeling it. But now that there is visible snow on the ground, I had to re-examine my wardrobe.

As someone who has always struggled with weight and body insecurity, winter clothing was stressful. Chunky sweaters and big coats don’t exactly make anyone feel glamorous. I’ve spent the past year and a half trying to figure out how to make winter clothing work for me, so that I can feel both warm and happy in my own skin. So without further ado, here are some tips and tricks that I’ve tried:

Layering

Maybe this sounds simple, but is incredibly helpful! Wearing a sweater and jeans every day can get repetitive and stagnant, not to mention it’s not always the most flattering. In the winter, the thing I miss the most is dresses and skirts. I like to switch it up with thick tights, a dress, and a cardigan underneath my big winter jacket. If you bundle up over the dress, it’s easy to stay warm as you commute throughout the day. Take off the layers once indoors, and now you get to feel a little more like yourself!

Mix it Up

If you ask my friends, they know that one of my favorite events to participate in is Fun Pant Friday. If I have to wear pants and a sweater, I want it to be fun. I want to be wearing a bright pattern that makes me happy, a loud scarf, or a colorful beanie. It may cost a pretty penny, but I think it’s worth it to have a few good quality fun sweaters or funky pants in order to mix up the daily uniform of sweater and pants.

Make it Fun

There’s nothing I hate more than getting out of my warm bed in the morning. My roommates and I make it a game of who can get out of bed first. We play music and help each other get ready. Even if it isn’t putting on the most interesting outfit, it’s fun when you’re doing it with your friends. And if you have a different morning routine than your roommates, make it a nightly event. Picking out your clothes the night before will ruin the stress in the morning so that you can sleep in and fret not.  

And the most important thing to remember is that your clothing does not define you. You define your clothing. At the end of the day, the body in the clothing is what matters.

Image Credit: 1, 2, 3