This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

It’s that time of the year again. That’s right. We’re enjoying those glorious days surrounding Wright Brothers Day. ‘Tis the season to commemorate Orville and Wilbur’s groundbreaking flight of an airplane that was mechanically propelled and heavier than air. Maybe we should have some ham and eggnog to go with this.

Chances are, I’ve just taught you something. Wright Brothers Day is, in fact, December 17, but I feel confident in saying that the majority of the population of the United States is completely ignorant of this fact.

When people start saying “It’s that time of the year again,” chances are they’re not referring to aerial innovation. This phrase has come to be associated with the festivities of December that surround Hanukkah and Christmas as the season of gift-giving, hot chocolate, and snow (whether cold or fake) takes flight.

Having grown up celebrating Christmas, I’ve passed many a year watching the arc of the holiday’s merriment in real life and on the screen. This jolly season, I thought I’d share the trials and joys of the final month of the year through quotes from some of my favorite Christmas movies.

“A true selfless act always sparks another.”

Klaus

Klaus is a movie that is too often missing from the canon of Christmas movie classics. This animated film should not be mistaken as just for children. A twist on the origin of Santa Claus, Klaus answers age long questions such as “Why do the naughty kids get coal?” while keeping at heart those selfless acts that make the holiday season so special. As the 25th looms nearer, Christmas can too often morph into lengthy wish-lists and frantic shopping, but as the smell of snow (real or imagined) starts to fill the air the holiday season truly begins with an inclination towards demonstrating kindness to our fellow human beings. With wrapping paper adorned boxes filling up with canned goods and Christmas trees draped with winter clothing donations, we are reminded that this is a season of giving.

“4:00, wallow in self-pity. 4:30, stare into the abyss. 5:00, solve world hunger, tell no one. 5:30, jazzercize. 6:30, dinner with me. I can’t cancel that again. 7:00, wrestle with my self-loathing. I’m booked. Of course, if I bump the loathing to 9, I could still be done in time to lay in bed, stare at the ceiling and slip slowly into madness.”

How the Grinch Stole Christmas

That’s not to say that Christmas warmth is uninterrupted—December can be a cold place. The Grinch clearly understands this as he plots the downfall of the idyllic Whoville Christmas. With students studying for those looming final exams and employees just trying to get through those last few days of work, December’s not all lights and jingle bells. We can just hope we follow the Grinch in squeezing in some fun with maybe a little bit of “jazzercize” and taking a few minutes to “solve world hunger,” though hopefully we’ll tell a person or two about that one. Nonetheless, maybe by the time Christmas rolls around, the Grinch and we will have had a change of heart.

“AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.”

Home Alone

We’ve all been there. Although Kevin may be screaming after discovering the sting of aftershave, we all have our own moments of panic as we run through our to-do lists: did we remember to buy the aftershave? Oh my gosh we still have so many gifts to wrap. Have we even put the star on top of the tree yet? The 25th isn’t hidden on the calendar, but it sure manages to jump out and surprise us. Don’t worry, though, if eight-year-old Kevin can take on the task of defending his house from burglars alone, we can get all of the shopping done in time for Christmas.

“I just like to smile. Smiling’s my favorite.”

Elf

Isn’t it worth all that stress, though? Nothing compares to getting to watch family members’ excitement as they open gifts on Christmas morning. Christmas can be an ordeal, but it brings that holiday cheer when it finally arrives. So, when you’re finally able to relax and smile, Buddy the elf is one to finally help bring that cheer as, raised in the North Pole, he goes to find his birth-father in that magical place called New York City.

“Aunt Clara had for years labored under the delusion that I was not only perpetually four-years-old, but also a girl.”

A Christmas Story

Even as we watch Ralphie struggle to make it to Christmas in his own way, there are certainly relatable moments in his story. While few can claim such a…unique gift as the pink bunny suit his Aunt Clara gifts him, Christmas time can definitely have its awkward interactions with relatives. However, in the end we are reminded why we love our family, or at least have a good story to tell.

“If you look for it, I’ve got a sneaky feeling you’ll find that love actually is all around.”

Love Actually

Love Actually understands a variety of expressions of love as it explores different ways the emotion is part of our lives. After we spend the day entrenched in various family traditions, we can understand that beyond the early morning opening of presents, Christmas is a day to spend with loved ones.

“Bah Humbug”

The Man Who Invented Christmas / A Christmas Carol

This expression of a general lack of holiday spirit was made legendary from the moment Charles Dickens’ Scrooge used it to express his lack of Christmas spirit in A Christmas Carol. The book has since been the subject of many screen adaptations, including The Man Who Invented Christmas’ exploration of Dickens’ process in writing it. After the joy of Christmas has worn off however, the days between Santa coming and the New Year can feel lacking in spirit. Perhaps if we made the promise “I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year”?

“Oh, Christmas isn’t just a day. It’s a frame of mind.”

Miracle on 34th Street

As Kris Kringle teaches a group of Santa Claus doubters that took their doubt to the extreme of a court trial in Miracle on 31st Street, Christmas is more than just a day. After the excitement of the 25th we could do to enjoy the remaining time with our family or some quality alone time as well as those delicious left-overs. More than non-stop celebration, Christmas is a the contentment and warmth of the season which we try to hold on to for as long as possible.

“I’m going to have to get back to you on that one, Ed.”

The Family Man

You won’t see The Family Man mentioned a lot, which is sorrowful given its forcing us to question what we value as Jack Campbell is given a “Glimpse” of what his life might have been had he made different choices. Doesn’t sound very Christmas-y? Well, this all takes place over Christmas Eve night and celebrates those feelings that we most associate with Christmas. Jack Campbell wakes up in his “Glimpse” and finds himself going to work selling tires at “Big Ed’s” after being a multimillionaire CEO. Reeling in horror at his new job, when asked a question about tire sales he gives the deadpan response of “I’m going to have to get back to you on that one, Ed.” Coming back from the Winter holidays, we can all feel a little sluggish. So, what better a response to that question for your teacher or boss when you’re in the middle of forgetting what you do and why you’re there than “I’m going to have to get back to you on that one”?

“Strange, isn’t it? Each man’s life touches so many other lives. When he isn’t around he leaves an awful hole, doesn’t he?”

It’s a Wonderful Life

There is perhaps no better note to end on than the all-time Christmas classic of It’s a Wonderful Life. George Bailey has become frustrated after all his best efforts in life lead only to more problems, but an Angel shows up to show him the value of his life. We can all relate to Bailey’s frustrations, but It’s a Wonderful Life encourages us to appreciate the wonders of our interaction with our fellow human beings, no matter the season.

Delaney is part of the Kenyon class of 2026. She is an avid reader and travel-lover who aims to incorporate the different cultures and worlds she experiences into her writing.