To Those Who Come From the Lands of Eternal Summer: A Guide to Staying Warm in Gambier

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.
As someone who comes from a place where winter is virtually non-existent, I’ve heard all sorts of things about the chilly season in Gambier. Those of us who grew up without snow in their backyards finally find ourselves living on top of a hill which will soon be covered in a blanket of cold wetness. Personally, I’m freaking out – so I’ve made a list of ways in which I’m planning to stay warm during winter in the ‘Bier:

1. Layers. Lots of them.
If there was ever an excuse to go shopping, it’s now. The cute parka you’ve been eyeing all these years? It can be yours now. You can actually use it. 

2. Indulge at Peirce.
The Freshman 15 may be an issue at any other point in the year, but during the winter that extra layer of pudginess will help protect you from the chills. (Why do you think baby seals are so darn cute and chubby?) So the next time you’re debating whether or not to eat that extra chocolate fudge cookie for dessert, just tell yourself that your body will thank you in a month or so.

3. Send out an Allstu looking for a new cuddle buddy. 
There’s nothing wrong with a little extra cuddling, especially during the frosty weeks that lie ahead. 

4. Go to Old Kenyon every Friday and Saturday nights.
It’s a freaking sauna in there, like, all the time

5. Hibernate at Wiggins Street Coffee.
Self-explanatory. Warm coffee and muffins will be constantly at your disposal. 

6. Adopt a little ball of fur to keep you warm.
If need be, you can always look around for Kimba for that daily dose of warm fuzziness. 

After following all of these tips you should be 100% prepared for winter on the Hill, but if not, there is one final solution: you’re in college now, and no one can judge you for wearing your snuggie to class. 

Emma Miller, from Shaker Heights, Ohio,  is a senior Drama major at Kenyon College. She is a co-president of StageFemmes, a Kenyon student theatre organization dedicated to showcasing the talents of women in drama. Emma spends her summers as Assistant Director at a Jewish performing arts camp. Emma is thrilled to be in her second year as co-Campus Correspondent for Kenyon's HC chapter.  Emma was a founding staff member of her high school's online magazine, and her writings have also been published on the FBomb. She is passionate about girls' education, Jimmy Fallon, iced tea, Ireland, Cleveland, and SmartWool socks.