Things You’ve Always Wanted to Know About Kenyon Majors

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

Not sure what to major in? Curious about what other students think of their majors? Want to know what you’re getting into before you declare that music major? Then, you’ve come to the right place!

The best way to find out about the pros and cons of different majors is to speak to the students who experience the joys and struggles of these academic pursuits on a daily basis. Their insider information will allow you to make a more informed choice when deciding on your own major. As the following six Kenyon students share their experiences, they’ll tell you all about the best and worst parts of their majors, while also offering some valuable advice.

Fine Arts

Seth Reichert

Major: Music

What is the best part about a music major?

I think that the best part about majoring in music is the community. It is such a hard and intense major that everyone who does it really loves it and wouldn’t be there if it wasn’t the place they wanted to be most so that is really cool.

The worst?

The worst part is simultaneously how hard it is. Most people fail at least one section of comps, and the senior exercise often looks more like something a master’s student would do, but like I said, this kind of builds the sense of community, and while we may complain sometimes, it also means that most people are pretty proud of the work they do.

What advice do you have for students considering a music major?

When I was first considering a music major, my teacher and now advisor told me to hang out in Storer more to befriend music majors (we all joke that we live there, but actually), take Music theory 121/122, and ask myself if this is what I really loved doing. The music department makes it hard to complete the major because they want students who really love it. If you think it might be for you, start there, and if you think you love it, dive in.

Humanities

Lauren Michael

Major: Philosophy

What is the best part about a philosophy major?

One of the best things about it is it makes you feel more comfortable with uncertainty and with examining ideas and arguments for their worth. It’s not possible to look at the world without bias, but it helps you become more comfortable with nuance, and that’s something that you don’t get everywhere. Also you get to experience part of this larger search for understanding, which is pretty glorious and wonderful.

The worst?

Sometimes it’s the gender gap and the lack of diversity. There’s a palpable gender disparity once you get into the higher-level classes that isn’t fun necessarily. Sometimes the lack of practicality is difficult. Not because it makes it harder to get a job necessarily, but because sometimes [philosophy is] more concerned with what should be rather than what is, and it’s important to kind of bridge those two things.

What advice do you have for students considering a philosophy major?

Everybody should learn about philosophy, but that doesn’t necessarily mean you have to major in it. Take classes, go to your professors’ office hours and talk with them about certain ideas, see whether or not you actually like it and then decide. Don’t try to think of the idea of it.

Natural Sciences

Paige Ballard

Major: Psychology

What is the best part about a psychology major?

One thing I really like about psych is how relevant it seems. I strongly considered a major in each of the four disciplines, and psych just seemed the most applicable to the everyday world. In my classes, I’m learning about the empirically proven (as much as anything can be ‘proven’) ways and reasons we act like we do. For instance, I’m taking a class about personality, and we’re working on a unit now about how accurately we perceive each other and the implications that has for life outcomes. Even if I don’t leave Kenyon to become an actual clinical psychologist, I’ll still leave these classes knowing so much more about why we do the things we do.

The worst?

Strangely enough, the science. I know there’s a decent amount of contention over whether psych should be considered a natural science or not, but based on the Cognitive Neuroscience class I’m currently taking for my major, it’s a real science. I’m not particularly good at remembering all those chemical and anatomical names, so this class is rough—thank goodness only one “Biological Bases” course is required.

What advice do you have for students considering a psychology major?

I would definitely say not to make your decision based just on the first couple classes you take. Intro can give you a pretty good feel for what the different upper level classes and labs go into, but I know a lot of people take Research Methods their freshman year and decide then and there that psych is a bunch of boring statistics and discussion about validity. The upper level classes don’t ignore that completely, but they’re much more about the actual findings and what those mean in regard to how we actually behave.

Social Sciences

Thomas Rosenfeld

Major(s): History (and International Studies)

What is the best part about a history major?

I think the best part about majoring in history is you learn to synthesize a lot of information in a very specific way so that even if you aren’t using history every day during your life it’s a very useful tool. Also, the reason I like it is for people who are into current events, there is nothing better than looking at the past and seeing how it applies to the present and your mindset and the way that you then process that information and apply it to the future for preventative measures or anything really.

The worst?

The worst part about majoring in history is that, like all social sciences, there are lots and lots of readings. You think you only have five readings, and they’re only going to be about 20 pages, but then all of the readings are 40 pages and then you cry a little bit in Olin and people look at you. I feel like it’s the same with any major, though.

What advice do you have for students considering a history major?

For people considering the major, I’m going to tell them to do something that I didn’t do, which is take Making of the Contemporary World because it’s with three history professors. They’re all from different areas of history, different times, their geographical interests vary, and so I think that’s really important because you get a big crash course. Definitely take that class.

Inter disciplinary

Ruby Messier (right) and Laila Latif (left)

Majors: International Studies

What is the best part about an international studies major?

R: I think for international studies, it’s a great major because it is interdisciplinary, and it really allows you to concentrate in different areas of the world and of your interests. The way that you are able to take classes from so many different departments really allows you to build up your knowledge in all of these different departments while still having this focused major in this focused area of study.

L: I totally agree with [Ruby]. Something else that I like is that it forces you to go abroad. I don’t necessarily know if I would go abroad if I weren’t an IS major. I’d probably chicken-out. But to be honest, I’m really excited. I think it’s one of those experiences that you’re only going to experience now. I don’t necessarily know that I’m ever going to live outside the United States in the future, so I think that’s really cool.

The worst?

R: I think there is so much reading, but I wouldn’t say that’s the worst part of it. If you’re taking classes that you like because we have so much flexibility to choose our classes most of the time you’re going to enjoy your readings. There is no department for IS, which can make some of the bureaucratic stuff a little bit harder. We have to go through different hoops to kind of figure out how we’re going to build requirements. It’s not a distinct track for everyone. You have to kind of create it on your own which is a plus and a minus.

L: Also, because we’re not [part of a specific department] we have to take that preemptive move [when registering for classes] and email professors ahead of time because a lot of the time majors do get preference, which hasn’t thus far been a problem for me, but it is something to keep in mind.

What advice do you have for students considering an international studies major?

R: Make sure to start language early.

L: Also, give a lot of thought to what region of the world you’re interested in. Don’t just necessarily do it because you think “oh, I think that would be a cool place to live for six months.” Do your research. You’d be surprised how extraordinary your experiences in countries that you haven’t even heard of before can be. From what I’ve heard, kind of going out of your comfort zone can be very beneficial.

No matter what interests you, talking to the professors and other students in a particular department will give you a better sense of what you can expect from a major. Upperclassmen love to offer advice and will happily tell you what mistakes to avoid and what things you simply MUST do, so don’t hesitate to ask them any questions you may have!

Image Credit: Facebook, Accelerated Degree

Class of 2017 at Kenyon College. English major, Music and Math double minor. Hobbies: Reading, Writing, Accidentally singing in public, Eating avocados, Adventure, and Star Wars.