Ten Simple Ways to De-Stress

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

In preparing for the many midterms and writing what seems like weekly essays, we college kids tend to get more than a little overwhelmed. This year, use these ten ideas to keep your mind and body stress-free.

1. Take advantage of Kenyon’s many athletic offerings. Go for a jog or bike ride on the picturesque Kokosing Gap Trail, take a KenyonFit class (Vinyasa Yoga is my personal favorite!), or do a half an hour on the elliptical at the KAC. Exercise is a great stress reliever; Not only will the release of endorphins help wipe away that particular day’s stress, but keeping active will increase your overall physical and mental health.

2. Make an effort to keep in touch with the people you love. If you’re feeling overwhelmed with college life, call your mom for a you-are-wonderful-and-perfect pep talk that only moms have perfected or write a long letter to your best friend from high school.

3. Clean your room. I know, I know – it doesn’t sound too appealing. However, it allows for a justified, productive break from studying and, let’s be honest, it probably should happen way more often than it actually does. The main reason organizing the piles of papers covering your desk and vacuuming your lint-ridden rug helps with stress is that once you have one aspect of your life organized, the rest will seem much more doable.

4. Paint your nails while listening to music. Taylor Swift’s new album comes out in less than a month, and I will shamelessly admit that I could not be more excited.

5. Actually do one of those crafty dorm decorations from Pinterest. I know you pin them. We all do. But usually, these modge-podge mason jars and paper flower lanterns get pinned and forgotten about. It’ll be a great de-stressor, and you’ll have a new dorm decoration to boot. Follow Her Campus Kenyon on Pinterest for some fun ideas, along with recipes, fashion, and more!

6. Watch that TV show you’re behind on – that ONE TV show you’re behind on. Be sure to limit yourself to just one thing to watch and stick to it, otherwise your day will roll away from you in a cloud of New Girl, Glee, and Modern Family.

7. Organize your mind! With homework and essays in four to five classes plus several meetings and other deadlines, the minds of Kenyon students are sure to be jam-packed with mental to-do lists. Give your mind a break and put it all on paper. Make daily or weekly to-do lists, or better yet, buy a cute planner to help keep track of everything you need to remember.

8. Take productive breaks to do something thoughtlessly fun. My favorite silly study break? Grabbing my Disney coloring book and making a colorful decoration for my door or a princess masterpiece for a friend.

9. Eat right. Food is vital to getting you through those long days. That means three meals a day, including breakfast. Try to at least grab something quick, like a banana or granola bar, as you’re heading out the door (although your body and mind would thank you for scrambled eggs and OJ!). Breakfast is key. Eat enough and eat healthy. Veggies, protein, and antioxidants can all be hard to get at college but are seriously important and will make your body and mind feel one hundred times better.

10. Remember that, despite the long to-do lists making you stressed out, life is pretty awesome. Write down one thing a day that makes you smile, whether it’s the trees starting to change color on middle path, the new iced coffee maker at Peirce (am I right?), or a long talk with a friend. I promise, something will be there every day and will help you remember to enjoy the little things.

Photo Credit: http://sparklepantsgirl.com/2012/02/paper-flower-lantern/ 

Sara is a senior English major, Art History minor, and Women's and Gender studies concentrator at Kenyon College. She was born and raised in Manhattan and never dreamed she would attend college surrounded by cornfields. She has spent two summers as an editorial intern at ELLE Magazine. She always has a magazine (or three) with her. She loves her role as Kenyon's Campus Correspondent!