This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

Spring has partially sprung in Gambier, Ohio, which means the spring playlists reached my Spotify weeks ago in preparation. While our days are still fluctuating between 40 degrees and rainy and 60 degrees and sunny, I’ve already ditched the winter coat and the blues that came with the colder days. My songs in the winter tend to be more…well, I don’t think there’s a better word to put it than gloomy. But as the seasons turn, so must my music. Here are some of the new and old tunes I’ll be listening to this spring as I walk up and down campus on what I hope will be sunny days. 

“Honey” by Samia

Samia’s newest album, released in January, was well anticipated after her growing popularity during the last few years. “Honey” is one of my favorite tracks from this album, which is named after the song, partially due to the fact that its beat and tone capture spring almost perfectly. And with the title “Honey,” how could I not add it to my spring playlists? 

“(You) On my Arm” by Leith Ross

Leith Ross’ newest single puts a smile on my face every time I listen. I’ve been a fan of Ross’ music for a while, and after they released a snippet of this song on Tiktok, fans were begging Ross to release the full version. Most of Ross’ songs that I more often listen to are acoustic and slower, so I was surprised by how much I liked this upbeat single. The song was released just in time for Valentine’s Day, but carries well over into spring as your spinning-around-in-a-field-of-flowers love song. 

“Cattails” by Big Thief 

Most of Big Thief is suitable for spring weather, and therefore their music makes up most of my spring playlists—but this could also just be because they’re my favorite band. Elements of nature occur frequently in many Big Thief songs, especially “Cattails.” Listening to this song as the weather warms up is building the excitement for the Ohio spring days soon to come. 

“Bitter with the Sweet” by Carole King

Carole King reminds me both of spring and fall depending on the song, but either way, I know that King’s music is meant to be listened to on a picnic blanket on a sunny day. This is one of my favorites of King’s songs, and it will continue to play every year as the days are getting warmer.

“Not Strong Enough” by Boygenius

Boygenius’ new record did not disappoint me, especially years after they released their first EP. After releasing four singles, the band made up of Julien Baker, Lucy Dacus, and Phoebe Bridgers finally released their new album, titled The Record, on March 31. “Not Strong Enough,” the fourth single off of the album, truly encapsulates the power of all three voices. The music video shows the three friends goofing around and exploring different places together. This record will for sure the one taking over my walks up and down Middle Path this spring.

Zoe Malouf

Kenyon '25

Zoe is a junior at Kenyon College, originally from Massachusetts. In her free time she enjoys spending time outdoors, creating art, playing guitar, and playing rugby.