prateek katyal xv7 GlvBLFw unsplash 1?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
prateek katyal xv7 GlvBLFw unsplash 1?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Social Media: Take It With a Grain of Salt

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

As people of the 21st century, we are well aware that technology has a major impact on our society. For the most part, this impact is positive. Technology has saved lives through new medicines and surgeries, and it has made our daily lives more convenient in a variety of ways.

The benefits and detriments of one particular technology has been the focus of many debates and studies. Social media has been scrutinized time and again for its effects on adolescents and young adults. In recent years, social media has come under fire for its apparently ability to spark hysteria among its users. It’s also notorious for creating copycats of dangerous or illegal actions.

In January 2012, a number of girls from Le Roy, New York, experienced a strange affliction that included twitching and stuttering. The number of cases in the small town spread. Eventually, doctors diagnosed the girls with conversion disorder, a condition in which the affected person “converts” their stress into physical symptoms. In the past, this condition was “spread” when an unaffected person saw or heard the symptoms of an affected person and began coping with their own stress in the same manner, making it nearly impossible for widespread transmission of the condition. In the age of social media, however, the girls shared their symptoms online through tweets and videos, leading to an expansive spread of the condition.

Another more recent case of “social media hysteria” occurred just this past summer, centered around YouTube star Marina Joyce. In July, fans began noticing differences between her most current videos and her previous ones. Her normal bubbliness was replaced by long periods of silence, and fans noted that she often stared off-screen as if someone was there directing her. Later videos led to comments about the presence of guns in the background of the videos, as well as bruises on Joyce’s arms and what seemed to sound like her whispering “help me.”

Many of Joyce’s fans were extremely concerned for her safety, worrying that she had been kidnapped or was suffering abuse. Joyce’s suggestion of a meet and greet with fans at 6:30am led many to believe she was part of a plot set by a terrorist group. Photoshopped stills of the videos only helped to spread the hysteria by spreading further lies, such as making it seem like a man was reflected in Joyce’s eye during some of her frightened-looking stares. Police involvement soon began, and it was determined that Joyce was safe in her own home. However, the change in Joyce’s videos still seems present, leading some fans to continue reflecting on what may be causing this change.

The Internet is currently experiencing another outbreak of hysteria in its obsession with “creepy clown” sightings across the country. Just a few initial reports of people in clown costumes led to a number of “copycat” reports of false sightings, as well as faked videos and photos of these supposed sightings. Some people have even purposefully dressed as clowns in order to scare people who are walking past their hiding place; nearly all of these instances have resulted in police involvement. The popular fast food chain McDonald’s recently announced that their mascot, a clown prudently named Ronald McDonald, would be limited in his appearances at public events due to the climate surrounding such figures.

There’s no doubt that some viral internet trends have great effects, such as the Ice Bucket Challenge’s viral trend of summer 2014 leading to a spike in donations for and awareness of ALS. The Internet’s negative influence can be just as powerful, though, and the hysteria spread by social media can lead to all kinds of danger. Without a doubt, it’s always important to think carefully and critically about what we see online and to not let our imaginations run away with us. In this digital age, seeing doesn’t always mean you should believe.

Image Credit: YouTube, Fobes, ABC News

Elizabeth is a writer and Senior Editor for Her Campus Kenyon. She is currently a sophomore English major with an emphasis in Creative Writing at Kenyon College, where she is also a member of the cross country team. She is a Stephen King fanatic and a chocolate lover. In her free time, she can be found reading a good book or rewatching any of the Star Wars movies.
Class of 2017 at Kenyon College. English major, Music and Math double minor. Hobbies: Reading, Writing, Accidentally singing in public, Eating avocados, Adventure, and Star Wars.