Primary School: Lily Learns About Politics

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

To my occasional shame (whenever an election comes around), I know very little about politics. I am largely uninterested in the shenanigans of politicians and their broadly nonspecific promises. Alas, as an attempted active participant in the world, I decided now was the time to explore my options and form an opinion. So here you have it: live (kind of) and in person (not really), here is Lily’s attempt at understanding politics.

Domestic Policy!

Some Current Trending Issues: Gun Control! Drugs! Patriot Act/NSA Surveillance!

What Lily Learned and How She Feels:

Gun Control: Okay, so I pretty much knew where I stood on gun control and my research has not changed that. I am a fan of stricter gun control, increased background checks on those seeking to purchase a weapon, and a halt on sales of handguns and automatic weapons. For something funny and informational, I recommend Jim Jefferie’s stand up comedy on gun control.

Drugs: I’m a little less clear on drugs. I tend towards the idea that the government should not regulate what we put in our bodies. I have no issue with the legalization of marijuana, which I think is equally as dangerous as drinking alcohol. However, the idea of cocaine and heroin being legal strikes me in not a great way.

NSA Surveillance: In theory, I feel super sketchy about the NSA creeping on my calls and emails. In practice, however, I really don’t care if some guy in Virginia is looking through the emails my mom sends me about Tom Brady. Regardless, there is something inherently disturbing about the government being allowed to use all its might to invade the privacy of its citizens. I understand the need for security measures, but it seems like the current form of the policy needs refinement.

Social Issues!

Some Current Trending Topics: Planned Parenthood/Abortion! Same-Sex Marriage! Women in Combat!

What Lily Learned and How She Feels:

This was a section I felt confident in, as previously my limited political feelings extended to most of these issues.

Planned Parenthood: Why are we de-funding Planned Parenthood again? Because they provide abortions? Friends, in 2014 abortion accounted for 3% of Planned Parenthood’s budget. The majority of their money comes from Medicaid and is used for contraception and screenings for STI’s. I am pro choice, and I stand with Planned Parenthood.

Same-Sex Marriage: Before we move on to gay marriage, I would just like to say that marriage is about loving commitment and the institution itself is completely unrelated to any characteristic of the two partners being unified. So yes to marriage equality. Duh.

Women in Combat: As of December 2015, the Pentagon officially opened up combat roles to women, including driving tanks and leading infantry soldiers into combat. I am extraordinarily surprised that this only happened less than two months ago. Women have been serving in Iraq and Afghanistan for 15 years and they were still denied this equality until recently. There should be one set of standards in order to enter into a combat role. If you can pass that test, then you are welcomed to serve. That is equality.

There were a million and a half other political issues that I could have delved into, some of which I did behind the scenes. I’m a fan of mandatory vaccinations, equal pay, and raising the minimum wage. I’m not sure about Medicaid or whether able-bodied and mentally capable individuals receiving welfare should be required to work. Writing this article mainly confirmed what I already knew: politics are hard. Not just because of power and corruption, but because none of these questions have easy answers and most of them come down a matter of opinion. One can fairly securely argue that increasing restrictions on the purchase of firearms will limit the amount of massacres and shootings because other countries have had that result. But how many other things are we so sure of? 

**The views expressed in this article are solely those of the writer and do not necessarily reflect those of Her Campus Kenyon.**

Image Credit: Dave Granlund, Jeff Stahler on Cartoon Stock

Lily is junior English major at Kenyon College in Gambier, Ohio. She comes from Rockland Country, NY, and loves being a writer and Marketing Director for Kenyon's chapter of Her Campus. When she's not shopping for children's size shoes (she fits in a 3), she's watching action movies, reading Jane Austen, or trying to learn how to meditate. At Kenyon, Lily is also an associate at the Kenyon Review and a DJ at the radio station. 
Class of 2017 at Kenyon College. English major, Music and Math double minor. Hobbies: Reading, Writing, Accidentally singing in public, Eating avocados, Adventure, and Star Wars.