Pins and Needles: The Toolbox’s Little Sister

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

One of my recent pieces discussed the importance of having a toolbox as a college girl I have since discovered that there is another collection of utensils just as important as the toolbox: the sewing kit.

A few weeks ago, I was getting ready to attend a formal with my friend Mark when I discovered  the jumpsuit I was planning on wearing had an unfortunate rip on the rear. Not wanting to flash my fellow guests, I did what any rational person would do and picked up this tiny sewing kit at the bookstore to remedy the situation.

This is quite possibly the best $2.66 I have ever spent. Since purchasing it just three weeks ago, I have used it to…

-Mend the unfortunate butt rip on my jumpsuit

-Sew up holes in 3 sweaters and 2 pairs of socks

-Fix an enormous tear in a pair of crocheted tights

-Replace two buttons on a shirt

Granted, I was aware of the majority of these minor malfunctions long before this little box of gems entered my life, but having it has made these wardrobe staples wearable again. Nothing is more exciting than fixing a beloved sweater rather than replace it. Having a small sewing kit on hand is beneficial for similar reasons to the toolbox: you’ll save time because you won’t have to look for a needle and thread, you can fix instead of having to replace, et cetera. Below are the essentials of a sewing kit that you may not think of in day to day life, but will thank yourself for buying in the future.

1. Needles

Hopefully, you know that it is impossible (or nearly impossible) to sew something without a needle. If this is news to you, I recommend also investing in a copy of Sewing for Dummies, available used at Barnes & Noble starting at $1.99.

2. Needle Threader

I cannot say that I have ever used one of these, but threading a needle can be extremely challenging, and a needle threader might save your patience and your eyesight. In the bookstore kit, the needle threader is the strange item that looks like a silver coin with the hook on the end that most people (i.e. me) need to Google to figure out what it is.

3. Tape Measurer

The tape measurer is generally used for more advanced sewing, such as size and hem adjustments. Chances are, you won’t be doing a whole lot of size alterations with a basic sewing kit, but this might be helpful if you need to measure a hem to raise or lower it.

4. Spool(s) of thread

Like the needle, it is nearly impossible to sew without thread. Again, if this is news, refer back to Sewing for Dummies. I recommend having black, white, red (for pink, red, and orange projects), brown, and blue (for blues and purples), but if you don’t own any brown or avoid purple like the plague, you need not invest in these colors. The bookstore kit comes with black, white, brown, green and red.

5. Spare buttons

You don’t necessarily need to buy these, but it might be a good idea to collect the ones that come with your clothes and keep them with your sewing kit so you’re prepared when use lose a button. Or four. Some buttons just really aren’t secure.

6. Thimble

Getting pricked with the needle you’re sewing with isn’t pleasant. Wear a thimble to get through thick fabrics without injuring yourself.

7. Scissors

Scissors are helpful mainly for cutting thread. Although this might not necessarily be essential to the kit, scissors are helpful to have on hand during projects. Keep one near your sewing kit so you don’t have to cut thread with your teeth or something weird like that.

8. Seam Ripper (not pictured or included in the Bookstore’s sewing kit)

Sometimes, you make mistakes. Sometimes, you need to tear them up with a seam ripper. Believe me, trying to rip a seam without a seam ripper is extremely challenging. Don’t do that to yourself. Invest in the seam ripper.

9. A Place to Keep Everything Together

‘Nuff said. Everything listed above is useless if you have no clue where it is. Keep it in a handy container in a place you will remember, and you’ll always have it when you need it.

That pretty much sums up the teeny-tiny box of wonders photographed above. It’s always helpful to have things on hand when you needle them (pun obviously intended), and a sewing kit is one you will certainly thank yourself for.

Image Credit: Hannah Anain

Hannah Joan

Kenyon '18

Hannah is one of the Campus Coordinators for Her Campus Kenyon. She is a Buffalo native and plant enthusiast studying English and Women's and Gender Studies as a junior at Kenyon College.    
Class of 2017 at Kenyon College. English major, Music and Math double minor. Hobbies: Reading, Writing, Accidentally singing in public, Eating avocados, Adventure, and Star Wars.