This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

Book girlies you might want to listen up for this one. After careful consideration, I have crafted a list of my absolute favorite female book characters. All the genres, all the resources, to raise them up to the sky.

Elizabeth Bennet

If we’re going to make a list of all of my favorite incredible book women, you must know that Lizzie Bennet will be included. In Pride and Prejudice, Elizabeth carries the book with her witty remarks and original enemies-to-lovers story. Not only does she always stand up for what she feels is right, but she is also a fellow book-lover. Elizabeth knows how to put a man in his place and she does it with the utmost finesse. Ever the example of a smart, funny, wonderful woman, Elizabeth Bennet takes the cake.

Circe

Next up we have Circe from Madeline Miller’s Circe. This is a powerful woman if there ever was one—I mean come on, she’s literally a goddess. In Miller’s telling, Circe takes life into her own hands after she is exiled to an island by her father. Circe overcomes the obstacles of living alone and turns the tale into her discovery of individuality and freedom. This telling of Circe humanizes her and reforms her narrative to be a tale of persistence. Did I mention she’s also magic? Circe makes herbal magic, keeps lions as pets, and saves lives. Basically, there is no stopping her and I love that.

Inej Ghafa

Fierce, stealthy, and a member of a six person gang? Inej Ghafa from Leigh Bardugo’s Six of Crows is all that and a bag of chips (and other fun things like climbing roofs and assassinations). Inej is a star member of the gang of Crows. In the first of the duology, she takes on one of the biggest heists of all time: break into the infamous Ice Court with the members of her loyal crew. While there are stand out moments for every member of the Crows, I have to tell you that Inej really carries the operation with her quick thinking and slay power.

Marianne Sheridan

Marianne Sheridan from Sally Rooney’s Normal People is a work of art. Normal People begins with Marianne in her final year of secondary school. For the most part, she keeps to herself and works extremely hard academically. However, when she forms a secret relationship with Connell Waldron, there is a shift in her character. Marianne and Connell are followed throughout that year and into their time at the University of Trinity as their relationship progresses. But this isn’t about Connell (as much as we love him), it’s about Marianne. She is one of the most real characters I think I have ever read. As she goes through university, she learns a lot about herself through relationships, friendships, and living independently. She isn’t romanticized, she isn’t perfect, she’s a normal person. Her story made me laugh, cry, and everything in between—I don’t think I’ll ever get over it.

Nora Stephens

The finale of this article includes one of the queens of rom-com books: the one and only Nora Stephens from Book Lovers by Emily Henry. Except Nora isn’t your typical rom–com girl. When her sister books a trip to the small town of Sunshine Falls, Nora makes it clear that she isn’t looking for a tree farmer or a local bartender to fall in love with. She is a smart and savvy publisher and she’s not going to kid herself about any romance. Of course things never turn out the way our rom–com heroines think they will. The trip takes a turn when she find out that her publishing enemy, Charlie Lastra, lives in the town she is vacationing in. Inevitably, the sparks fly (and heat up too (thanks Emily)) and Nora and Charlie share an incredible story as Nora journeys toward self discovery. I love Nora because, though she does have the best love story, she remains undeniably herself. At the end of the novel, she doesn’t move to Sunshine Falls; she goes back to New York City because she knows that’s where she belongs. She shows everyone that you can rock the rom-com and the high power business together—in fact you might even find love because of it.

Delilah is a senior editor of Her Campus Kenyon! She is in the class of 2026 and is so excited to write, build community, and have fun at Her Campus.