BanditDog
BanditDog
Original photo by Jordan Hemmerdinger

The Dogs of Kenyon’s Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

When I moved into college for the first time in August, I quickly realized I missed my dog the most. I missed our nightly snuggles, her company while doing boring homework, and even the all-but-hourly walks. A few days into my dogless college life, I finally pet a dog. It was some random cutie that decided to say hi to me while on her walk along Middle Path. I was so happy to be in the presence of a dog again, that I began to notice how many dogs there really are on this campus. I wanted to know more about these rays of sunshine that attract crowds of college students and momentarily alleviate our stress.

The first dog I got a chance to meet was Bandit. Bandit is a Shetland Sheepdog and was a welcome surprise on my way out of English class. I asked his human, Rob Alexander, a Kenyon professor in Economics and Environmental Studies about his handsome pup. I learned that Bandit loves to bounce around ripples in the stream, and makes every possible attempt to eat the light reflections.

BanditDog
Original photo by Jordan Hemmerdinger

I then had the honor of meeting Luca, a Bernese Mountain Dog visiting Kenyon from North Carolina. He was sitting in front of the bookstore with his humans, including his mom Susan, a Kenyon alum herself. Susan told me her son Benjamin also went to Kenyon and graduated in the spring. So I was basically cuddling an honorary Kenyon alum. While stroking this gentle giant, I learned that his favorite toy, a stuffed frog he has had since he was a tiny puppy, did not make it on this trip. When the time came to leave, it wasn’t anywhere to be found, so he had to settle for his lamby instead. I was told all about his summer habit of lying in front of an industrial fan while also in the air conditioning, blowing the summer heat away. I learned his best friend is his mailman, Josh, who taught him how to do tricks like shaking his paws and sitting. Finally, I was lucky enough to witness Luca enter his petting station, which consists of him nudging in between his dad’s legs and receiving some much-appreciated booty scratches.

LucaDog
Original photo by Jordan Hemmerdinger

On my way down middle path, I met Harley. This fourteen-year-old Buchan/Shih Tzu mix had a little eye infection and a cone of shame to show for it. Kirk Emmert, a previous Political Science professor at Kenyon, told me all about Harley’s love for him and his daughter, as well as sniffing and eating anything possible. In Kirk Emmert’s words, Harley is a “people person,” and still trots down Middle Path like he’s as young as ever.

HarleyDog
Original photo by Jordan Hemmerdinger

Near Peirce, I was welcomed by a very enthusiastic Golden Doodle named Georgie. Georgie, whose leash was held by Jay, definitely had a case of the wiggles. After talking to Jay and getting some pets in for Georgie, I learned that the reason the two of them were stationed outside Peirce was that Georgie had chewed up yet another pillow, and Jay’s wife needed Georgie out of the house to clean up the mess. Jay made sure I knew that this year-and-a-half-year-old ball of energy is his wife’s dog and has the two of them trained to her wants and needs.

GeorgieDog
Original photo by Jordan Hemmerdinger

Learning about all of these dogs’ quirks and personalities put a smile on my face and those around me. People love to talk about their dogs, and nothing makes their pups feel more special than a crowd of college students cooing and petting them. I still miss my dog and her weird habits, but having such sweet dogs all around campus definitely makes it easier.

Jordan is a member of Kenyon's class of 2026. Originally from NYC, she loves soft things, dogs, and anything chocolate. She likes to do makeup and has embraced her curly hair and can spend too long talking about both. She can usually be spotted in a pair of cute pants and platform sneakers, and will try almost anything once.