Letters To My Younger Self: Alum Advice

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

Kenyon alumni have to be some of the best in the nation; they’re kind, warm and eager to help current students achieve their dreams. Over my past couple of years at Kenyon, I have had a lot of contact with many Kenyon alums, all truly esteemed men and women who have taught me not only about how to succeed in the career I want, but also about life in general and being happy. Here are some of the most significant lessons I have learned from these great alums:

1) Reach out to others in the field that interests you.One alumnus mentioned to me that he would write to people that he admired for their work, and would even receive responses to his own work in return. There is a lot of merit in contacting people in the discipline of field that you love and want to be in—it proves your interest and you will undoubtedly acquire some understanding of what it take from whoever you contact.

2) Be courageous.Another alum told me that his editor once expressed to him that a mark of one’s potential success was the willingness to reach out to others who were already successful in the field. He said that things happen from such acts of courage. It is absolutely terrifying to try and contact someone who is already successful in an area you want to go into, but nothing ever happened from acting timid.

3) Acquire the necessary experience.Whatever you’re into, start working on it now. Like to write? Join the paper or a literary magazine. Want to be an editor? Start looking over friends work. Interact with the people around you. Nothing can be done alone. You may not realize it, but you and the people around you will eventually be in charge, so talk to others and feed off of their enthusiasm and energy!

4) Research and apply to internships.One alum that I spoke to called internships valuable, almost critical, to success. Do the necessary research required: check up on the company, institution or organization you are interested in, practice interview skills and write thank you emails. Once your foot is in the door, more doors will open.

5) Don’t underestimate the value of being a well-rounded learner.Kenyon is a unique learning experience in that it offers students the opportunity to receive an intimate, almost personalized education. We have all heard of the value of a liberal arts education, but few appreciate its caliber. One needs to soak up everything, be curious and act creatively in order to succeed.

Ally Bruschi is a senior political science major at Kenyon College. She spent this past summer interning as a writer with both The Daily Meal, a digital media group  dedicated to "all things food and drink" and The Borgen Project, a non-profit organization that partners with U.S. policymakers to alleviate global poverty. Before entering the "real world" of jobs, however, Ally spent many summers as a counselor at an all-girls summer camp in Vermont, aka the most wonderful place on earth. A good book, a jar of peanut butter, a well-crafted Spotify playlist, and a lazy dog could get her through even the worst of days.