Life > Academics

Learning How to Study: Study Tips from Someone with Dyslexia

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

While being dyslexic does not make these tips any better, I do feel like it gave me greater pressure to figure out good study tips and tricks.

1. Audiobooks

Having always been a slow reader due to dyslexia, I don’t mind as much for my free reading. Still, when I’m under a deadline, I love using audiobooks. I have a few ways I work to get these. First, I would try my library. Many people have the Libby app, which connects your library card to the app to borrow audiobooks and e-books. I like Libby because it’s simple and has many audiobooks. If that doesn’t work, I check when the book was published. If their copyright has expired, many audiobooks can be found on youtube. If that doesn’t work, I use my LearningAlly, which isn’t always reliable. Still, occasionally I’ve used it, giving me an audiobook even the library doesn’t have. I got my account through school due to my learning disability. 

2. Flashcards

While this might seem simple enough, I think it’s always important to reinforce how helpful flashcards can be. It is a classic for a reason! Currently, it is popular for teachers to tell you that it is important to learn, not memorize. While this is a nice idea, sometimes it’s not applicable at all and kind of stupid. I personally don’t find a big difference between making paper flashcards and using online sites like Quizlet. When I study my flashcards, I usually do three at a time and go through the three cards a few times until I know the answer. I go through the flashcards twice after and only stop if I get them right. Then I go back through the whole deck and separate what I did wrong and what I know. Then I go through my wrong pile, and after I go through all the cards however many times I want to review. I use flashcards for English, Russian, and Chinese vocab learning. I used them to practice APUSH terms and memorize basic derivatives for calculus. 

3. Study Sheets

Using study sheets depends on the class, but I love making study sheets for my Microeconomics class and my Russian class. I would write out all the definitions and equations for my economics class. I would include graphs that gather the overall feel of the concepts. Unlike that class, for my Russian language class, I would go through my textbook and draw simplified tables for the ending rules. I would write grammar equations to understand the new grammar patterns clearly. I would use flashcards to study my terms in addition to my study sheet. Using different study methods for the same class is essential to effective learning.

At the end of the day, studying is a very customizable activity. Different things work for different people and different classes. These are suggestions if you are struggling with a specific class and want tips. However, what works for me, will not necessarily work for everyone. That’s a fun part of learning how to learn and study. It is all about self-discovery and understanding.

Nell Ganley

Kenyon '25

Born in London and from Minnesota, Nell is a junior international studies major at Kenyon.